OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of Red Saint Thomas mushrooms, two rooted halimeda plants, two sprouting mangroves, 5-6 hermits and 5-6 snails. Oh and a blue/green discoma

I'll get a pic once those (mushrooms) settle in and open up.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mid water change pic:
20200514_193302.jpg

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and did a quick and dirty light stand, so I finally (since February!) got my Fiji Sun T5 fixture running. You can see the bare wood on the top of the pic. I'll get it painted this weekend.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE, HUGE Shout-out to John and Andrew at MAS (Midwest Aquarium Services) in Fargo, ND. I texted him if he was opening today (it is 2.15 hours each way for me), he was and come on down.

Long story short, amazballs. Here's what I picked up today:

Two green/purple hammer frags (1 head each)
2" Jedi Mind Trick Monti
Two Watermelon Rainbow Bubble Tips
Leather Coral frag that hasn't opened yet for him (no ideas on color, probably tan/gray/regular)
Four heads of branching Blasto Merletti
Two big polyps of a really sweet paly grandis, a couple babies on the back side
Four heads of a branching multi color frogspawn (purple/green and mix)
Neon Green cabbage leather
Black/Blue branching sponge
Neon Pink/Purple finger leather
Single yellow/gold torch head, with five baby heads underneath

Regular sized Rods frozen herbivore
Hikari Baby Brine Shrimp Cubes
Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp Cubes

Easily 500-600 if you looked for this online right? Heck some places are selling single torches for $400.

I honestly can say I paid under $250 for everything above.

John is the man. Also thanks to Andrew for helping trying to do three things at once!

Pics when they start to open up.

Edit: Forgot the Nassarius snail :)
Edit V2. Forgot a mushroom

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of pics (Sorry for fuzziness, used my phone). Still working on placement - just about everything seems to be opening up somewhat, but the torch just isn't happy. Also I run my tank right around 10-12k, so no oversaturated colors. That said, I think I need a bit more blue, I think I'll try 14-15k and see how I like that.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a really great write up of PAR/PUR/Spectrum/Lighting I found on a planted tank site. The author lists some pretty neat summaries / conclusions that are making me think/ponder new stuff. That is always welcome.

Link to site:

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I settled on a pretty easy to follow water change routine. If it's not easy, I'll probably not do it :). Also going to be testing every Tuesday and Friday for Mag/Alk/Ca. Figure this is enough to get a rough estimate for the levels. With only eight or nine frags, shouldn't swing too much.

Everything is starting to settle in, and so far so good!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box of goodies came in from Pacific East Aquaculture today - two cristata's a peach Goni and a neon sinulara. They've been in the tank about two hours and are starting to open.

I love T5's!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a fun build I like this plan. It would be sweet to see it complete. I’ve never seen 2 tanks running through 1 sump. Cool idea.
While that part has changed a bit (It was originally going to be the two 60's side by side) I ended up with the 105ish "cube" tank. I've got something similar that I'm going to be working on hopefully mid summer, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the new stuff:
7.jpg
8.jpg

Big shout out to PacificEastAquaculture, the contact/emails were awesome before and AFTER the delivery. Will order from them again.

Couple of Cristatas. Red/Rose Gonipora and neon sinulara that is coloring up really well 2" from the surface under T5's. I'm kind of excited to see how the tan/yellowish cristata starts to color also. The Purple/Green one on the bottom of the last pic keeps getting darker and darker, while the edges of the tips are starting to lighten up also. Pretty amazing coloration in less than three days.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking at the tank yesterday and getting ready for the H2O change for today, I noticed all my mushrooms are gone. I haven't changed flow, so I don't know if they would have gotten pushed. I'll need to move some stuff around while doing the water change, which I suppose gives me a chance to suck the gunk out between the rocks.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tearing the rock apart looking for three mushrooms, they are just gone. Poof. I don't have anything that eats them, and the one discoma was pretty big (2"). Weird.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is trucking along pretty well. Still haven't found the missing mushrooms, and I've got to replace a wavemaker, but the corals are doing great, and even the halimeda plants are still with me (I was worried there might not be enough nutrients in there for them).

Fish are great, the little tang is almost as round as he is long, and the Sunshine Chromis are always out, even the little half inch ones.

Keeping up with the 5 ga / week h20 changes, but I'm having to top off with nearly two gallons a day of fresh water due to evaporation. Small price to pay I suppose, and it is nice that I can use my well water without worry. I try to top off with half ro/di and half tap (My well water is pretty spot on with both Calcium and Mag, nitrates around 10), just to keep things semi stable.

Overall as we roll into summer, tank is doing well.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tale of two bubbles....

So got these both awhile ago, same mother (they split), and looked almost exactly alike. They are a rainbowish bubble tip, but since these were kept in lower light really turned into a darker red. I moved one up high, to see if it would take the light (it's about 3" below the surface), and would let it move to where it was happiest. It now looks like this:
500.jpg

The other one was placed on a rock on the sand bed (11" ish from surface), and it has moved a grand total of 1" in the near month I've had it. It looks like this:
400.jpg

The color pattern is there, but it is much more red/orange with slight green tips than the other one. Both are fed via the tank, they don't get fed directly.

Since neither one is moving, they both like where they are at. Same parent, so some genes in both, both happy in two different light levels. Go figure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back