1080HD Electric Flame Scallop Video

That is cool!
 
Oh man I just got shown up! That is awesome!! Amazing quality as well! :)
 
You need to get a night shot

You cannot see it at night- which leads me to thinking that there is really not any actually electricity involved. If you look closely, it looks like the mantle is a flap of tissue folded up. I think on the inside of the fold is light blue pigment. When the flap of tissue is unfolded and then folded back up quickly, it LOOKS LIKE a flash of light.
 
You cannot see it at night- which leads me to thinking that there is really not any actually electricity involved. If you look closely, it looks like the mantle is a flap of tissue folded up. I think on the inside of the fold is light blue pigment. When the flap of tissue is unfolded and then folded back up quickly, it LOOKS LIKE a flash of light.

That is exactly what is happening.....
 
Yeah but I can't find a single place that says so. Even live aquaria says it is real electric pulses.
 
Either way, awesome video. very cool. Are these hard to keep in the home aquarium?
 
I knew I read it some where and I found the link....
The Electric Flame Scallop

The thin tissue underneath creates bioluminescence which isn't really electricity, the flap in front folds and unfolds showing it off making it look like little bolts of electricity.....There isn't much known about them really,I had one for about a year till it moved to the back of the tank and I couldn't feed it any more.....
 
Yeah, along with the natural short lifespan, no one really knows what they eat. I'm feeding DT phyto and LIVE rotifers. We shall see how they do.
 
Those things are sooooo cool! :bigsmile:
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new