10g Frag Tank

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I had everything I need except for a light. I'd like to keep a wide variety of corals, and I'd also like something on the cheaper end, <$125 (I'm 14 without a job so this is a way to fund my hobby)

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local fish store? I'm 15 and I built my 10 gallon nano reef for 200$ from buying used stuff at my LFS

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local fish store? I'm 15 and I built my 10 gallon nano reef for 200$ from buying used stuff at my LFS

Yeah I do. I've decided to change my display tank to a partial frag tank, then use the frag money to buy a 75g display and move up the non-frag stuff to the new tank. Any idea for how to move coral into frag plugs? They're on rocks, no plug or anything

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do. I've decided to change my display tank to a partial frag tank, then use the frag money to buy a 75g display and move up the non-frag stuff to the new tank. Any idea for how to move coral into frag plugs? They're on rocks, no plug or anything
What kind of coral do you want to move? If they are zoas, leathers, sps, or lps like acans or favias, they can be fragged right of the rock with tools like bone cutters, a scalpel, or a small dremel.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a local reefer club in your area? My 13 year old son joined our local club (Bay Area Reefers in the S.F. Bay Area) and all of the members are very generous and always selling used equipment for very little money and are often just giving it away. What part of the world are you in?
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral do you want to move? If they are zoas, leathers, sps, or lps like acans or favias, they can be fragged right of the rock with tools like bone cutters, a scalpel, or a small dremel.

I have torch, hammer, Xenia, and birds nest. I need to get some frag plugs too, considering I'm going to be fragging all of them. I can send pics in the morning. Would it be easier to contact through instagram? My account is @Pittsford_Pets

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have torch, hammer, Xenia, and birds nest. I need to get some frag plugs too, considering I'm going to be fragging all of them. I can send pics in the morning. Would it be easier to contact through instagram? My account is @Pittsford_Pets
The birds nest should be fairly easy to frag. I would be careful with the torch and hammer since they can be damaged easily. As for the Xenia, I'm not really sure. I tend to stay away from corals like gsp, sympodium, and Xenia because they are almost impossible to get rid of and very hard to frag correctly. As far as contact goes, I would like to stick with R2R for now since I recently deleted Instagram because it kept crashing.(I will be getting a new phone soon, so I will keep you posted)

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you don't have a dremel I highly recommend getting one. I got mine for 40$ at home depot and have owned it for 6 months now with no problems. It makes fragging corals(especially sps) easy

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a local reefer club in your area? My 13 year old son joined our local club (Bay Area Reefers in the S.F. Bay Area) and all of the members are very generous and always selling used equipment for very little money and are often just giving it away. What part of the world are you in?
Cheers! Mark

I just joined the hobby so I'm not entirely sure, but there probably is. I'm in Rochester, New York. Do you know if a LFS would take live rock for credit?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly reccomend GalaxyHydro LEDs. Cost me $80 and is growing anemones, acros and montis with blues on 70% and white on 20%.

Back