11 gal cube on top of radiator

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, yes, u read that right, I have a 11gal cube on a radiator in my room cuz there's nowhere else to put it, parents won't let me, so what can I do to keep the temp constant, can I just have my intank heater stay at 69*, or should I do twice a week COLD ahh water changes?(I have 2 clowns, and I'm getting a rainbow btanemone, noopsyche k7mini)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, yes, u read that right, I have a 11gal cube on a radiator in my room cuz there's nowhere else to put it, parents won't let me, so what can I do to keep the temp constant, can I just have my intank heater stay at 69*, or should I do twice a week COLD ahh water changes?(I have 2 clowns, and I'm getting a rainbow btanemone, noopsyche k7mini)
There isn't a dresser or desk you can put it on? On top of a radiator sounds like a accident waiting to happen.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an

d how do I move a tank?
11 gallons? What are the dimensions of the tank? Best bet to move it, drain the water into a bucket or two, then pick up the tank and move it, then put the water back in. See if a family member can help you pick up the tank.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where to start with this so I guess by asking what temperature is the tank when the radiator has been on an extended time? If it’s staying cool enough you can treat it like any other tank.
~79-81, idk what the radiator settings are on, my Betta tank is fine, at like 78, but its the saltwater tank that keeps spiking to the 82.5-9's

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 gallons? What are the dimensions of the tank? Best bet to move it, drain the water into a bucket or two, then pick up the tank and move it, then put the water back in. See if a family member can help you pick up the tank.
how much water tho? cuz the clown thoo and live rock/live sand.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much water tho? cuz the clown thoo and live rock/live sand.
If you can catch the clown and put in the bucket where the water is going that would work fine. otherwise leave just enough water in the tank that the clown can still move around. Drain and refill shouldn't take too long.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~79-81, idk what the radiator settings are on, my Betta tank is fine, at like 78, but its the saltwater tank that keeps spiking to the 82.5-9's
If that’s as high as it gets I would not worry about it. Set the heater to ~76 which is where it will stay in summer and it still gives you a delta for winter.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the clown and put in the bucket where the water is going that would work fine. otherwise leave just enough water in the tank that the clown can still move around. Drain and refill shouldn't take too long.
k thanks everyone :D(last time I drained 4 gals for a water change, took 30 minutes lol

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s as high as it gets I would not worry about it. Set the heater to ~76 which is where it will stay in summer and it still gives you a delta for winter.
I caught the tank temp nearing 83.5 the other day, and what about winter? and for the anemone and the corals I'm getting in 2 weeks? I don't want them to die, I don't have job, I cant spend hundreds lol

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught the tank temp nearing 83.5 the other day, and what about winter? and for the anemone and the corals I'm getting in 2 weeks? I don't want them to die, I don't have job, I cant spend hundreds lol

84 is not great but not awful. I give that anemone zero chances though with a tank this new, inexperienced reefer, and pretty harsh parameter swings. Save your money for down the road.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
84 is not great but not awful. I give that anemone zero chances though with a tank this new, inexperienced reefer, and pretty harsh parameter swings. Save your money for down the road.
lol, ye, imma move it tho I think, all these people said to move it lol, 84 is awful ik, Im really going for the best for my fishies and corals and anemonies, not trying to kill them(yes ik, anemone and fishes)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think I already have this, I have a 5foot 3/16" tubing that I got from an aquarium air pump
3/16 will take forever, 3/4" or even 1/2" will flow much faster so won't take as long

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back