Low maintenance tank for a pair of clowns

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regular occelaris clowns are getting territorial in my main tank and need to be separated. I have an IM 10g desktop cube that I'm thinking of repurposing just for them, but I want this to be super low maintenance. Here's what I'm thinking:

Tank: IM Nuvo 10g AIO
Rocks: 1x TBS ocean rock from main tank (already in 10g), one large Marshall Islands rock (dry, about 30yr old)
Sand: Already has TBS sand
ATO: Just bought a Smart ATO Nano - Auto Top Off Kit - AutoAqua; I liked that the unit is HOB and the tube just goes into the reservoir. Also cheap-ish ($90)
Heater: Eheim with an inkbird
Cooling: USB fan on an inkbird
Light: Noopsyche K7 Mini

Stocking:
2x occelaris clowns

Coral concept: the TBS rock is already covered with green palys. Nothing I can do about that. The bigger rock can have a rainbow BTA and a black widow BTA, just like my main tank has (in fact, just got a rainbow split, so perfect). Otherwise, thinking of adding only softies. Some gorgonians, pink nepthea, and branching GSP. Otherwise, plan on saving some sandbed space for placing frags for grow-out. Maybe some macroalgae.

Dosing: by hand. For softies, hopefully not too much to dose. Otherwise, will use AFR to keep ALK around 8.

We'll see how it goes!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon is like throwing them into solitary confinement for a parking ticket. Upgrade to a 40 breeder or rehome the bass turds to the LFS or someone with a larger tank they can ruin/run the show in. These gangsters need proper care to avoid suicide and depression, and while they are in captivity they should be in with the general populations, (including and anemone) to have any hope of a normal life inside the pen. :rolleyes: :cool:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon is like throwing them into solitary confinement for a parking ticket. Upgrade to a 40 breeder or rehome the bass turds to the LFS or someone with a larger tank they can ruin/run the show in. These gangsters need proper care to avoid suicide and depression, and while they are in captivity they should be in with the general populations, (including and anemone) to have any hope of a normal life inside the pen. :rolleyes: :cool:
They are currently in a 40 and not yet too big. I could put them on the upgrade track --> upgrade the 40 for more wrasses, then give them the 40 or a bigger cube. That or donate them to a school tank or somewhere--the coworkers will scream bloody murder, because they are the office favorites. Beats me!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back