Thoughts on 15G nano tank with pair of clowns and firefish?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I need help. I am getting fish soon to stock my 15G tank, but there is limited space. It's an AIO tank, so the sump is on the back, which is probably around 1.5G. One thing I can say, I added just over 10 gallons of water to the tank, with rock and sand. So very limited space. I am definitely going to put a pair of Ocellaris clown fish in it, as well as a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and a small CUC, (less than 10 inhabitants), I was wondering if when I do get fish if I could add another, and more specifically a firefish, and if that would work well. I don't want to overstock my tank, and I don't want any fish to get bullied by the clowns. Thanks for your help.

17069790905671519299780573045225.jpg

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally either add the clowns last or substitute them for other “nano” fish as they can jerks when they get bigger.

It does not look like that’s many places for individual territory’s or places to hide based on the picture.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any ideas?
Nothing encouraging. That tank is going to be crouded with one of the fishes you mentioned, and the clowns, if they tolerate each other are not likely going to put up with other fishes in their holding cell.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing encouraging. That tank is going to be crouded with one of the fishes you mentioned, and the clowns, if they tolerate each other are not likely going to put up with other fishes in their holding cell.
Ok, I am ok with putting just a pair of clowns in and my CUC

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean last as in a couple weeks or months or as in a couple hours?
Depends how efficient your filtration is and how often you feed. I started off with a 30 gallon AIO and looking back, I would of had more success if I had them last/after the other fish had established their territory.

After you cycle your tank, putting too many fish in during a short space of time isn’t the best of idea in my opinion due to size of tank/filtration available.

If your gonna keep the tank with just the clowns, then I would make sure they are paired up before purchasing them.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how efficient your filtration is and how often you feed. I started off with a 30 gallon AIO and looking back, I would of had more success if I had them last/after the other fish had established their territory.

After you cycle your tank, putting too many fish in during a short space of time isn’t the best of idea in my opinion due to size of tank/filtration available.

If your gonna keep the tank with just the clowns, then I would make sure they are paired up before purchasing them.
Yes, if I am going to get clowns, they will definitely be paired.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if I am going to get clowns, they will definitely be paired.
Id like to think that if the clowns are paired then baring the odd tiff, they “should” be alright.

What are you using for filtration/are you planning on adding coral out of curiosity?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to think that if the clowns are paired then baring the odd tiff, they “should” be alright.

What are you using for filtration/are you planning on adding coral out of curiosity?
All I have right now, is a filter sock, but I may get a skimmer in the future, depends on if I do end up getting more than 2 fish. And yes, to answer your question, I am planning to put corals in the tank.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have right now, is a filter sock, but I may get a skimmer in the future, depends on if I do end up getting more than 2 fish. And yes, to answer your question, I am planning to put corals in the tank.
Just a filter sock? Do you have anything for biological filtration.

Asking about the coral because I’m deciding what I’d put in that tank like it was my own

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a filter sock? Do you have anything for biological filtration.

Asking about the coral because I’m deciding what I’d put in that tank like it was my own
I have a live sandbed, and I dose beneficial bacteria, and I have live rock. Note, that I don't have any livestock in the tank, it is cycling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back