15G nano tank

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is my build thread! For my birthday, I was gifted an Innovative Marine 15G AIO cube! I decided to go with saltwater, as I love the ocean, (hence my name), and I was super excited because its almost like a little slice of the ocean in my room! I have set it up, and it's in the cycling phase right now, I have live sand and rock, as well as me dosing the tank with beneficial bacteria. I have a bottle of ammonia coming, so I can really start the cycling phase.

I am obviously going to put livestock in my tank, but not for a while as I want to make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding them because it is such a small tank. Here is what is what I am PLANNING to put in the tank. This is subject to change, and I want to hear all your opinions on this!

A pair of ocellarius clownfish
1 firefish
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
2-3 blue-legged hermit crabs
2-3 Nassarius snails (maybe)
1 sea urchin (maybe)

I am now just thinking that some Nassarius snails will be a good option because they are just a good addition to a CUC.

I also put sea urchin as a maybe. My LFS said I could get this but they said I could throw in some fish, shrimp, snails, and maybe a sea urchin, I decided I'd rather have some hermit crabs in there than a sea urchin, but if I can get both, than sure.

Again, everything is subject to change. I know that the shrimp might be a little cramped in the tank, but I think it should be ok, I don't know what's all your guys' opinions on this. I love how they clean stuff off the fish, plus it will be very helpful if they eat parasites off my fish, because then I won't have to worry about it.

I dont have any add-ons yet, I only have a filter sock, a heater, and a power head. I am looking towards getting a protein skimmer, because I think that would help me with keeping the water clean. The fact that the protein skimmer takes that stuff out of the water is disgusting, and not having one in there and leaving all that nasty stuff in the water is even grosser, so I think I am definitely going to get a protein skimmer in the near future when I get livestock.

Anyways, I think that that is all, for right now. I hope to remember to keep this updated when I do more stuff to it.

Please let me know your guys opinion on this, this is my FIRST saltwater tank, so I dont really know what I am doing. Don't worry though, I have done my research and you would be surprised ln how much I already know. It's just I would like to get people opinion on my plans, because no video or website can do that. Thanks so much!

17064880729066056499904591063853.jpg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’ll be a great build! Following along, I also have a 15G that I started 2 months ago.

Couple of thoughts - I think you’ll totally be fine without a skimmer with that bioload. I also think the 2 shrimp will be fine. That’s plenty of room for them.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing updates!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’ll be a great build! Following along, I also have a 15G that I started 2 months ago.

Couple of thoughts - I think you’ll totally be fine without a skimmer with that bioload. I also think the 2 shrimp will be fine. That’s plenty of room for them.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing updates!
Thanks! I will update it when I can!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: Ammonia levels + New tech

1/29/24

Just got a bottle of Dr. Tims ammonium chloride solution, and added the appropriate amount to my tank. (roughly 40 drops). Tested for ammonia and nitrite levels 5 hours 3 hours later:

Ammonia: 2ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Dr. Tims said it should bring up ammonia levels to around 2ppm, so that is good. I will do a ammonia, and nitrite check tomorrow.

Note: I am also dosing beneficial bacteria, so things may be quicker.

Tech additions since last post:

- Wifi outlet
If you dont have one for your fish tank, I highly recommend it. Makes things way easier. You can turn off something with your phone, making feeding especially easier so I dont have to go behind my bed and unplug the plugs. You can also set each individual outlet with a timer, making my lights way easier to manage. Mine specifically has a surge protected to, which is way safer than just having them plugged into the wall. High quality ones are relatively cheap, ranging around 30-50 bucks.

-Reverse Osmosis System
I also, highly recommend getting a RO system. It eliminates the hassle of carrying heavy buckets of water from your LFS, to your house. It also eliminates the risk of you running out of RO water while doing a water change, or if you need to make a emergency water change. Having a unlimited supply of RO water in the comfort of your home is way easier. It is cheaper, and better for the environment.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is on my way home from work. Been using the same two 7 gallon jugs for 7 years.
Ok, well in that instance, that is more environmental friendly, but for most people that is not the case. My LFS is a half an hour drive, not near my work or anything, so for me to drive a total of a hour every couple weeks to go get some RODI water, having a filter is more environmental friendly for me.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well in that instance, that is more environmental friendly, but for most people that is not the case. My LFS is a half an hour drive, not near my work or anything, so for me to drive a total of a hour every couple weeks to go get some RODI water, having a filter is more environmental friendly for me.
Fair enough.

Comically, I do have an RODI system, but it is for the humans.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3: Ammonia levels

As stated in updated 2, I had 2ppm ammonia. I just tested today, and I have around .75 ppm now. Levels have gone down significantly, though not as fast as I thought.

The tank is looking great! There is no algae growth yet, which is starting to concern me, because I have my light in at least 6 hours a day on weekdays, and 10 hours a day on weekends, (not what my light schedule is, I just turn it on when I am in my room. When I get fish, it will be a consistent schedule.) I have had the tank running for almost 2 weeks now (Crazy how fast time goes by), but there has been no algae growth whatsoever. I have the lights on full blue, which may be one reason none has started to grow, but I don't know. Is this normal? Should I consider myself lucky, or should I know it's coming?

Question:

I always somehow find myself at the beach, picking up shells, and I have a ton of them lying around. I have some really cool scallop shells that I think would look awesome in the tanks but because they can't be used by hermit crabs, is it ok for me to put them in? I know if I am going to have hermits, I need shells, but I think I may have some to put in for them as well, is that ok? Will they start to break down and cause calcium spikes? Do any of you have some shells in your tanks? I would like to see some inspiration.

Attachments

• 20240203_140743.jpg
    20240203_140743.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going in my new tank
IMG_20240203_004340054.jpg
Very cool! I haven't seen a lot of people use coral skeletons for their main aqua scape! Very unique, and I love it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back