Thoughts on my my livestock list for a 15g nano tank?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I want one, they are so cute. Thanks for the help
I’ve had mine almost 3 years and I just love it.

Don’t be surprised the first time it molts. It’s not dead ! Just remove the molt. It’s going to hide for a few days after, because the new shell is very soft, which makes it more vulnerable to predators.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine almost 3 years and I just love it.

Don’t be surprised the first time it molts. It’s not dead ! Just remove the molt. It’s going to hide for a few days after, because the new shell is very soft, which makes it more vulnerable to predators.
Thanks, though I will probably still freak out when I see it. Is there any way I can make more hiding spots, because my rock work doesn't have a lot, and I want it to feel safe.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, though I will probably still freak out when I see it. Is there any way I can make more hiding spots, because my rock work doesn't have a lot, and I want it to feel safe.
Can we see a picture ? You’re 100% right, fish and shrimps need hiding spots to feel safe. It will keep stress levels down, along multiple smaller regular feedings, good water quality and not bothering them too much by putting your hands in the tank.

I also recommend giving them vitamins and sometimes, garlic.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a picture ? You’re 100% right, fish and shrimps need hiding spots to feel safe. It will keep stress levels down, along multiple smaller regular feedings, good water quality and not bothering them too much by putting your hands in the tank.

I also recommend giving them vitamins and sometimes, garlic.

17069874756742782487972509273501.jpg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WalkerLoves_TheOcean ok, that’s easy to fix. Just go to your store and buy maybe 10 lbs of rock. Either smaller ones or you can also break the big ones yourself with a hammer and chisel. It requires practically no strength, it’s very easy.

Then use a flat surface outside the tank and build small, medium or big caves that you are just going to add on the bottom by piling the rocks. You’ll find a way to make them stick. It doesn’t have to be really solid, fish and inverts only weigh a few grams for a tank that small.

When you like it, put it in the tank.

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend getting the fire fish first and let it settle in before adding the clowns. If the clowns are introduced first, they will consider the entire tank theirs. Hopefully if the fire fish is already established, which may take a couple weeks or more. Also, the cleaner shrimp will probably hang upside down in that cave most of the time. Great for viewing! He will sway back and forth letting the fish know the cleaning station is open for business. The fire fish and shrimp could very easily share that cave. Life for everyone would be much calmer if there was another cave or a shell, barnacle, small plant pot, or even a shot glass. Something for the fire fish to move to when the clowns take over the cave. LOL You can get creative by using super glue and sand or rubble to cover any unconventional item that you want to try to make a little cave out of. The cleaner shrimp will absolutely steal food from coral and walk all over them, but it has been my experience that once the shrimp moves away the coral is just fine. I hope you enjoy your little box of water for years.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend getting the fire fish first and let it settle in before adding the clowns. If the clowns are introduced first, they will consider the entire tank theirs. Hopefully if the fire fish is already established, which may take a couple weeks or more. Also, the cleaner shrimp will probably hang upside down in that cave most of the time. Great for viewing! He will sway back and forth letting the fish know the cleaning station is open for business. The fire fish and shrimp could very easily share that cave. Life for everyone would be much calmer if there was another cave or a shell, barnacle, small plant pot, or even a shot glass. Something for the fire fish to move to when the clowns take over the cave. LOL You can get creative by using super glue and sand or rubble to cover any unconventional item that you want to try to make a little cave out of. The cleaner shrimp will absolutely steal food from coral and walk all over them, but it has been my experience that once the shrimp moves away the coral is just fine. I hope you enjoy your little box of water for years.
I was thinking of adding macroalgae to the tank, specifically red macroalgae, which may help the firefish blend in. Will that work, and will it be able to hide in it?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be in the minority I think, but even 1 turbo snail is going to have a hard time long term in a 15 gallon much less an urchin imo. Mexican turbos die a lot in the hobby and most people chalk it up to having received the cold water ones which imo the vasty majority we receive in the hobby are from the gulf of Mexico and should survive a decade+. I run my tank at 82-83 degrees and have had all my turbos for over 2 years and one for about 6. My opinion is that most starve. Turbos need a TON of film and fine filamebtous algae to thrive. They can grow to the size of baseballs. I have 1 or 2 around tennis ball sized and only 3 in a 120.

I'd consider more dwarf ceriths, a trochus/turban or 2, and a few astrea at that size.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to echo everyone else in the thread though that for a new hobbyist that's a fantastic stock list and shows you're willing to think through your decisions. I expect you'll have great success in the hobby
Thanks so much, that means a lot to me!!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just don't have a lot of space. I do have a cave, that might be enough, but I don't think I really have a lot of space left to make some more caves.
From your picture, there is enough space to make small caves. When you get your firefish, you’ll realize how small their cave need to be. They only need a quarter size, not even, hole.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your picture, there is enough space to make small caves. When you get your firefish, you’ll realize how small their cave need to be. They only need a quarter size, not even, hole.
Oh ok, then if they could fit in something that small, then I think I will make something that I can see from the side of my bed, that is kind of deep so the clown fish can't get in. Thanks!

Attachments

• 17069949972515200921063031185980.jpg
    17069949972515200921063031185980.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 16

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably fit a couple of blue hippo tangs in there, too.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably fit a couple of blue hippo tangs in there, too.
What??? No I can't. They need at least 75 gallons but preferably 125 gallons.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back