110 Gallon Tank - Need Heater & Controller Recommendations

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, I'm looking for heater and controller recommendations for my 110 gallon tank. I'm new to the hobby so not too familiar with all the different brands. From the forum posts I've read, it seems like Eheim is most popular for heater but I haven't seen much about a specific controller to get. I've also seen people recommending to replace the controller each year as part of annual maintenance for tank stability. Please let me know your thoughts.

I'd like to hear thoughts on 1 large heater vs 2 smaller heaters.

Also curious what you think about BRS titanium heaters and the ink bird controller as that's what I saw in my LFS.

Thanks all!

CamKole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say some sort of Titanium Heater along with an Inkbird controller.

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say some sort of Titanium Heater along with an Inkbird controller.

Funny you mention that - I was editing my post to specifically ask about these two. What are your thoughts/experience on 1 big heater vs 2 small heaters?

CamKole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention that - I was editing my post to specifically ask about these two. What are your thoughts/experience on 1 big heater vs 2 small heaters?
I would say since they are titanium and heat up pretty quickly, one would probably work but having two would mean that if one were to fail you'd have the peace of mind that you still have another keeping your tank warm.

Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say since they are titanium and heat up pretty quickly, one would probably work but having two would mean that if one were to fail you'd have the peace of mind that you still have another keeping your tank warm.

Hope this helps :)
Thank you!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy an element without a thermostat, it really can't fail, but you rely on the inkbird for everything. I have an inkbird and have never had an issue. But I sleep better knowing I have actual heaters with thermostats that should turn off if the inkbird somehow stuck on.

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy an element without a thermostat, it really can't fail, but you rely on the inkbird for everything. I have an inkbird and have never had an issue. But I sleep better knowing I have actual heaters with thermostats that should turn off if the inkbird somehow stuck on.
Yeah I've read that some people opt to get a new controller every year or so to avoid this. Preventative maintenance. Thanks for your input.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a reliable, commercial grade heater controller meant for industrial applications, get a Ranco. Here is a very informative thread about Ranco temperature controllers…

I have mine paired with a BRS titanium heating element.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back