110G - My First Fish Tank

LucasRe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

This is my first build thread, and my first fish tank (fresh or salt water). It's been running for about 3 months now so I figured I'd use this first post to document the beginnings of my tank :)

Here is the original tank - a 55G fresh water tank with no plumbing or sump, the plan was to just run hang off equipment and to just house a small number of fish and easy to keep coral.

First.jpg

First additions to the tank! In hindsight the 55G tank was a bad idea but at the time were just so excited about how cute these little guys are.

second.jpg

It didn't take long before our aspirations for reef keeping changed and we bit the bullet and purchased a larger, 110G tank that was plumbed into a sump (Please ignore the half painted wall (yes I realize the tank will need to be moved to finish the job - thankfully the landlords don't plan on painting for a few more months).

third.jpg

Tank transfer! We purchased some more rock and with the help of a few friends, transferred the rock, sand, and inhabitants to their bigger and better home.

fourth.jpg

Once the tank had a few weeks to settle we added some new friends to the party, a blue tang and yellow dwarf angel (a mistake who was eventually given to a friend with a fish only tank :( ) We also went about adding lighting and some coral to the tank, starting the lights resulted in a huge algae bloom and some very cloudy water. At this stage we also introduced some clean up crew and a cute blue spotted blenny to the tank.

sixth.jpg

After the cloudiness didn't go away on its own we installed some carbon media and a VERY oversized skimmer (supplier shipped us the wrong one - decided to keep it). This, combined with a 5 micron filter sock pinched from work cleared the tank up in about 5 minutes.

seventh.jpg

We've since added a few more inhabitants to the tank, 3 x blue chromis, 1 x fire goby, a sea slug, an anemone and a few more corals. Here's the tank shortly after adding the above mentioned friends.

eigth.jpg

Today everything seems happy and thriving, the anemone has opened up completely and the corals seem to be enjoying their new home and not stressed at all. It wasn't an easy beginning, we lost two corals and had to re-home one fish (lost the corals because said fish ate them). But I'm pleased with how the tank looks 3 months in and am excited to grow it into a full reef :)

Thanks for reading! I'll try to keep this thread updated as the reef evolves. third.jpg

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! Great build thread. that is a really pretty tank. ENJOY!!
great job GIF by Captain Obvious

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
LucasRe

LucasRe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give a tank update, a lot has changed over the last 2 months. Unfortunately we lost 2 fish, the fire goby and the blenny (The tank now has a lid - lesson learnt). We've also added some fish! A Scopaz tang, a Cleaner wrasse and 3 pink anthias. They're all doing great.

We've hit a little bit of an ugly stage with some hair algae and some green algae on the glass. The stuff on the glass is easy to take care of but I do worry about getting too close to the sand bed as I don't want to pick up sand on the scraper and scratch the glass. The brown sand isn't the nicest either, we've added two sand shifting starfish to the tank and they've done an amazing job cleaning it up but there's still some left in the front corner. Unsure if we'll add more at this stage or just let the starfish get to it when they feel like it.

We've also put some new gear in the tank. We now have a protein skimmer, which is very oversized due to a mixup with a retailer. I've also purchased an auto top off and a dosing pump which I'm in the middle of testing at the moment before they start being used on the tank.

Finally a quick word on were the tank is headed - We've purchased a 400 gallon (8ft) tank as an upgrade. This is mostly because we want our tangs to have a lot of room to grow, even though they're so tiny at the moment. We're hoping to have the new tank up and running in the next few months and I'll be sure to update this build thread as we get closer to that happening.

Thanks for following along! Picture of the tank in it's current state and a close up of my euphyllia garden below.

20210518_210025.jpg

20210517_213553.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back