12 Gallon Bedroom SPS Only

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I picked up a regular Mr Aqua 12 gallon long tank that I plan to keep just sps corals in. My first dilemma Is what lighting is best for a tank my size. Should I go with 2x t5’s and a reef brite or a single t5 and two reef brites or just do 3x t5’s?

5850961A-17AF-41D0-8652-91D063475FEC.jpeg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I picked up a regular Mr Aqua 12 gallon long tank that I plan to keep just sps corals in. My first dilemma Is what lighting is best for a tank my size. Should I go with 2x t5’s and a reef brite or a single t5 and two reef brites or just do 3x t5’s?

5850961A-17AF-41D0-8652-91D063475FEC.jpeg
I can’t give you specific advice, but as I recall, some have had good success with the lower wattage LED flat panels. Good luck, I have a special fondness for these “bookcase” style tanks.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a ReefBrite Supra fixture,with a ATI B+ AND an True Actinic or a B+ and AquaBlue Special and a ReefBreeders Lumen bar. If the light is kept say 6-10" above the tank par should be quite good.

Are you planning on sumping it or running a media reactor or HOB filter ?

OP
OP
F

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on using a reef brite lumi lite or lumi lite pro, but I was considering a xho if I do 2x t5’s and a single led strip. I am planning on using GLO T5 fixtures, as they can be angled and are height adjustable. Unfortunately I only have 5” above the tank, so any led light strip with lenses is basically out of the question.
For filtration I plan on using a canister pump with bio media, a skimmer, and just relying on water changes.

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the lumenbars honestly,from an acro's keepers point of view,the lumi-lite or pro will add such little usable par its not worth the money. They are more for pop and viewig pleasure instead of add light for growth. You may as well spend the $10-$15 more and get the LumenBar. Its on a 1"x1"x23" heatsink doesn't protrude out at all.

They would add 10x more par than the lumi-lite or pro. Why not spend literally just a few extra bucks and not bite yourself for wishing you did. I'm willing to bet just the LB will produce 100+ par on its own if not more. ATI B+ produces roughly 100 par depending on ballast and reflectors on its own,True Actinic I believe is a little more IIRC. So with my suggestion above I feel like you could blanket the tank wjth about 300ish par at 5" which is adequate for SPS.

If your tank is 24" this one,I would go with the royal/uv mix or all uv. I would choose these over the ReefBrite at $40-$50 more expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up opting for a Reef Brite Tech XHO white fixture. I also plan to use 2x ATI Blue Plus bulbs. I went with the tech light after reading an article that stated the tech bulbs produce more par then a T5 bulb. I also love the fact that the Reef Brite fixture is dimmable, making acclimation easier. This was a big deciding factor.

E61C91CA-DD35-44CF-8B5B-9B0BB5433519.jpeg

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get the dimmer ? i’m trying to figure out if i can run a timer and have the dimmer turn it on at a certain percentage

OP
OP
F

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get the dimmer ? i’m trying to figure out if i can run a timer and have the dimmer turn it on at a certain percentage

Yes, I have the dimmer and it works on all the reef brite led’s as far as I know. It gives you 6 settings from full to off.

OP
OP
F

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not drilled the tank. My wife wants to move to new apartment in a better school district, so I have put the tank on hold. I am probably going to end up going with a bigger tank, I just want to wait and see what space is available.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up moving and I now plan to use this tank as a display refugium for my 25 gallon cube. Unfortunately I have to wait on the build until some bills get paid. Hopefully the build should be done by summer.
You had me tuned in and then you let me fall... J/K it looked good where this was going...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back