12 hours of scrubbing and cleaning

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just spent 12 hours cleaning my tank. I scrubbed off so much hair algae and rescaped my 120g tank. What I am wanting to know is that the new flow pattern is really pushing around the sand bed. I was wondering it is would be ok to add new heavier sand. I have thought about getting a bit heavier sand. I beleive I am using the ocean finji pink and it is really blowing around. Can I just pour new sand over the old sand or will it cause a mini cycle. Or I live on the east coast next to some nice beaches that have some heavier sand, would that be ok. I am not too worried about parasites.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just spent 12 hours cleaning my tank. I scrubbed off so much hair algae and rescaped my 120g tank. What I am wanting to know is that the new flow pattern is really pushing around the sand bed. I was wondering it is would be ok to add new heavier sand. I have thought about getting a bit heavier sand. I beleive I am using the ocean finji pink and it is really blowing around. Can I just pour new sand over the old sand or will it cause a mini cycle. Or I live on the east coast next to some nice beaches that have some heavier sand, would that be ok. I am not too worried about parasites.

I would caution using sand from a local beach. It's likely to have contaminants.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but would it be safe to just dump new sand in the tank?

I would rinse it well prior to use to remove the fines.

If your flow is that substantial now, even with the larger partical sand, it may move around.

Can you post a picture of your tank and powerhead placement? Size of powerheads?

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok The tank I am running is a 120g 4'x2'x2'. I have two opposing tunze nanostream power heads.
IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5252.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I just switched it to. I am not sure which on is better the one before or this one.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 18.47.21.png

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my original program was moving much water because I haddn't cleaned the pumps in months and it was full of algae. I cleaned them last night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back