120 gal (long) reef tank aquascape and fish selection

Jonathan3157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new soft/lps reef tank 72W x 18D x 20H. I plan on having about 1-2 inch sand bed. I will also have an auto feeder feeding flakes 2-3 times a day as I add more fish in, and I plan on feeding live brine 1-2 times a week depending on life. My main goal for the aqua scape is to look great day one as I will only be adding 5-10 coral frags every 1-2 months. I also wanted plenty of places for fish while also leaving open space.I would love any advice and suggestions on both my aquascape to make it both more appealing and to improve the habitat for the animals I am looking to add, and any advice as far as the stocking list (if there is a ? it is a fish I am not sure about adding). I would also love any suggestions on adding more fish/inverts to the list if the tank allows for it. I do have a 30 gal sump (most is for those plastic bio balls), 20 gal empty fishtank (turning into refugium), and an old canister filter under the tank. Most of the sump area is stuff my dad gave me to use from when I was little, which I am using to save money). I don't have them connected as I need to find a better way to plumb them. I am trying to get the rocks cycling first as it will be a few weekends before I will have time to re plumb it. These are what I am currently thinking of stocking the tank with and would love any input on things to consider changing.
Fish
1 powder blue tang or yellow tang (kinda want both but know I shouldn't)
2 clowns
2 Red or Green Mandarin (I won't add till the tank is more established)
1 diamond watchmen goby
1 lawnmower blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 tailspot blenny
5-7 pajama Cardinal (is this too much. the goal is to have some sort of schooling fish would prefer bangi cardinals but have read they can be aggressive)
1 carpenter flasher wrasse?
1 fairy wrasse? (suggestions welcome and can it go with a carpenter flasher wrasse)
1 Flame angle or coral beauty angle (I would like one for the look of the fish but I am on the fence if I should add one)
1 Fire fish or purple firefish?
1 aiptasia eating filefish? (I want one more to avoid aiptasia more than for the fish itself)
Inverts
1 sand sifting starfish
1-2 brisstle stars (leaning to just getting one)
2-3 tiger sand conch
1-2 clams
3 cleaner shrimp
1-2 peperment shrimp
1 flame scallop (always have wanted to try one but dont know much about them)
blue tuxedo urchin? (loved one in my old tank but it did cause issues to the aquascape but this round should be pretty solid)
1-2 emerald crabs? (I have had terrible luck with them and hate adding animals that are not going to make it)
asorted snails types
feather dusters island?
will dose some pods after I add my first couple fish
20240115_143554.jpg
20240115_143607.jpg
20240115_143623.jpg
20240115_143702.jpg
20240115_143633.jpg

cindyv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got that exact size for Christmas. have not taken out the old one and moved it in yet. I am trying not to over think the transfer but I don't want to miss anything. Still stuck on what sand I want to use and how much. Nervous to upset the happy tank i have had for 7 years. But the old tank was bought used and has terrible scratches. So excited for the pristine new start.... BTW Love your scape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back