OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest ICP results (attached, from Marinlabs, the AquaForest associated lab). All green which is nice.

Salinity was oddly high which I knew and have addressed.
Alkalinity was low. Still is but am raising it.

Everything was in the green so that's nice.

Tony

Attachments

• Results_2019-12-13.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day I scooped some sand out of the refugium the put in the observation tank. Disturbing that obviously sent a bunch of exciting microfauna into the water stream.

Up in the display the Watchman Goby came right up out of his hole and positioned himself mouth first into the flow coming from downstairs.

Got a fun pic as a result :)

DE982C8F-EEC4-477C-BAE4-27BBB1D4614D.jpeg

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newest inhabitant in the system. Mandarin Goby added last month. Seems to be doing quite well. I’m surprised at how much it gets around to different parts of the tank. I suppose I had thought it would stick closer to the bottom of the rock structure around the sand. But it seems to enjoy exploring.

Not the best pic I’m afraid, but here it’s up towards the top of the larger rock structure.

Gorgeous fish and great fun to watch.

46363C9A-9805-4554-9157-2FF9612F50AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick pic of Jack the Wrasse. A very nice fish. He was a skinny little guy when we got him, just a couple of inches long. And all yellow.

It has been fascinating to see his markings show up as he has grown. And just a generally nice fish, gets on well with everyone.

DCA8799F-0D11-4115-930E-61CA3BDD1DDC.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick pic of Jack the Wrasse. A very nice fish. He was a skinny little guy when we got him, just a couple of inches long. And all yellow.

It has been fascinating to see his markings show up as he has grown. And just a generally nice fish, gets on well with everyone.

DCA8799F-0D11-4115-930E-61CA3BDD1DDC.jpeg

Great fish, I love when they get the face markings, mine became a bully so was removed.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, I love when they get the face markings, mine became a bully so was removed.
My 4 works fine - they have been in my aquarium for nearly 4 years now.

Sincerely Lasse
Yes, he’s a lot of fun.

Shortly after we got him he got injured somehow. He damaged his eye and he had a strange kink/twist in his body for a couple of weeks. Really wasn’t sure if he would make it but he has turned out to be very healthy ever since. Really gets on well with everyone too.

This is the best photo I have of him from then.

DC648D8A-F3D8-4A99-B9A7-28495F1DEC1B.jpeg

Cheer, Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day I really do hope to keep this thread up to date. Not sure why that is so difficult.

In the meantime, here is what the tank looks like at the moment. There have been plenty of changes, both good and bad, since the last update. I’ll get to those eventually.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a very quick post to link to these 20l (5g) jugs have spent more time than I thought possible looking online for different storage containers over the last couple of years. Looking for options for SW mixing stations, ATO and dosing containers, and waste water storage.

These are great in that that is what they are designed for. They have a large screw top access for filling or emptying that seals very well. They have a small secondary hole, also with a screw top that is presumably to let air in when pouring out but is actually a great fit for our 1/4 tubing (loosely). And the larger screw top has a 1/2 thread in the middle with a punch out (presumably for a spigot) so also great to connect a larger tube.

At the moment I am using one for my AWC waste water and am very happy with it. Just nicely translucent to see the water level. When it’s close to full I just pull out the tube from the maxi doser, unscrew the large top, and pour it down the drain. Very convenient.

The other waste project I really want to get done is skimmate. I hate emptying that cup.

I have a floor drain I can run a tube to. But connecting the skimmer directly to the floor drain seems a bit risky in case something triggers it to overflow. Too much water out of the tank. So I’ll run it to one of these 5g jugs instead.

The ultimate goal would be to have the jug empty into the drain though. Either with a valve I open to let it drain through gravity when it gets full. Or with a utility pump triggered but a float valve.

I am worried about it getting clogged though. So my latest thinking is that I would drain the skimmer cup into the waste water container to dilute it. So we’ll see how that goes.

I’ll have to drill a hole into the skimmer cup and connect a drain though, so not sure when that’ll happen.

In the meantime here’s a pic of the Starry Blenny putting on a show next two new additions a couple of weeks ago : )

69C87734-2F8D-4994-A2C0-64F37E069D4A.jpeg

Link to jug:
UN/DOT Tight Head Containers for Shipping, Transport, Storage, and Waste; 20L (5 Gallon), HDPE, 70mm Cap, UN 3H1, 1/EA

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. The fish are awesome and I love the movement of gorgs and leathers. Especially this leather in the current.
BB257B92-F8A9-44FB-88B5-DE1BF64E23EF.jpeg

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. The fish are awesome and I love the movement of gorgs and leathers. Especially this leather in the current.
BB257B92-F8A9-44FB-88B5-DE1BF64E23EF.jpeg
Thanks very much. It has been a long process so far. Much slower than others to be sure, but I’m certainly enjoying it.
That coral is one of my favourites too.

Tony

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back