120 Gallon (mixed tank)...… mixed fish, mixed corals... mixed is actually hard

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to tank.

The tank is a 120 gallon custom built from Crystal Dynamics in San Diego. It includes a stand and canopy.
Sump is from Bashea.

Lights include 4 Kessil 360X inside the canopy. I want lights that are not heavy since the canopy already put a lot of pressure weight on the tank.

The tank is fairly new. Established on December 17, 2019.

Rocks are all dry and mainly Real Reef Rock, regular and branching.

What I find is that a mixed tank is hard to balance. This is because you have to balance the flow and light.

I cycled the tank for one week using 4 fresh water mollies and Brightwell XLM bacterial bottle.

I now have coraline algea growing fast and sps frags encrusting.

I dose with Aquaforest 123+, Acropower, Red Sea AB+. I plan to add a calcium reactor and Kalkwasser stirrer to increase pH in the near future.

U

User1

View Badges
You are correct. Mixed reef tanks are more difficult according to most hobbyists. The reason is that we are mixing corals that may or may not be in the same vicinity, depth, or have similar water conditions. Lighting. Nutrients. All play a factor.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. Mixed reef tanks are more difficult according to most hobbyists. The reason is that we are mixing corals that may or may not be in the same vicinity, depth, or have similar water conditions. Lighting. Nutrients. All play a factor.
Not only balancing light and flow, but also coral food and the dreaded possible chemical warefare.

My tank is doing well so far with all the mixed fish and corals. Knock on wood.

I still have my original 4 fresh water mollies in the tank. I really like the mollies. They are troopers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back