120 Gallon Red Sea Reef Mature Kit Help

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. This is my first post on a reefing thread so in case I miss something very obvious please let know. I bought a 120 Gallon reef ready tank used and am using a 40 gallon breeder for the sump. I have 2 MP40's for flow, a vectra return pump (the smallest one I think), a reef octopus 152s classic skimmer, 2 Neo-Therm 300 watt heaters, and am running it all with a Neptune Apex Jr. I have purchased Radion pros but they have not come in yet. The tank is cycling and I am using the Red Sea Reef Mature Kit. I am on day 10 of the program. My readings are as follows:

1. Temp = 77.5
  2. Salinity = 35
  3. Ammonia = .2 (0)
  4. Nitrite = .5 (0)
  5. Nitrate = 20-50 (Higher End) (10)

Im suppose to be reading 0 ammonia, nitrite, and 10 Nitrate. Should I be concerned? Should I make any changes? I put reef saver rock and dry sand in the tank. Thanks for any help!

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way man. Be patient. When I used the Red Sea kit it took a while for mine to actuLly reach 0 NH3/NH4. Just keep with the program and wait. When you hit zero NH3, dose NH3 (dr Tim’s) to 2ppm (assuming you have zero live stock) and wait for it to go back down. Repeat until in about 24 hours I go from 2ppm to 0

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sounds like a super nice set up!
You're doing fine.
When ammonia and nitrite hit zero start adding some livestock slowly giving the system time to adjust between additions.
You'll probably get more replies posting in the General Reefing or Chemistry forums.
Todd

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Just new still, or feel new. I had a 20 gallon 2 years ago but did everything wrong of course. There isn't anything in the tank currently.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back