120 gallon tank questions

truetricia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
402
Reaction score
414
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I'm switching apartments and think it would be a great time to swap out tanks. My 90g mixed reef is great, but I got it used and has some significant scratches on the front glass. So I starting looking around.

I've been offered a 120g tank from a local club member for free. We're friends and it was given to him before etc. Caveat is that the dimensions are off. 48 X 18 x 30.

It comes with a 6 bulb T5 fixture. I have access to 2 X 24 mh/T5 combo. Thoughts on moving forward and accepting the tank? Lighting problems? Aquascape thoughts?
 
Umm free sounds like a killer deal to me also I think either of those light options sounds good.
 
Does the tank come with a stand as well? Also, would the floor of your new apartment support the weight of the tank filled?
 
I have a 120 on the 2nd floor of an apt and it hold just fine. But you want to put it up against an outside wall that has support beams under it. So I would stay away from a wall that has a room behind it for example. You should also ask your apt complex office if you have wood support beams or if is a cement slab.
 
yea if you are on the first floor with concrete floors you are definitely golden!
 
Lol. Not on the first floor. 5th.

It does come with a stand. I'm still debating taking it because of the dimensions.
 
They have concrete floors on the 5th floor?! nice building! Are you worried about the flow with the depth? Or lighting issues?
 
It's newer construction and all of the buildings are being built that way here. I just found archived photos to confirm. Well I think they confirm.

I'm worried about being able to reach stuff, lighting in a mixed reef tank, and aquascaping. I think I'll have to increase the height of my rock work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new