120 Gallon vs 180 Gallon

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I really hated about my Aqueon 90 gallon was, the 18 inches from Front to Back, when the Rock-work was in place there was little room between the rock and front glass. My 65 gallon is at 20 inches and is much better. When I go to a bigger tank, it’s going to be 22 to 24 inches, front to back.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get a better idea of what I want. I think I'd like a tank that's 48 feet long and not much longer. This way I can get two LEDs instead of three, and maybe one powerful wave pump. I think 120 is the size I'm looking for after all.
Two leds on a 48 foot tank is perfect

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 23 year old 60”x18”x24”tall. I hate the front to back of 18”. I don’t feel 24” front to back will be much better. I would consider for you a 150 gal. 48”x30”x24”tall. Or a 180 gal 48”x36”x24” tall. Giving yourself plenty of room from rock to glass for easy magnet cleaning. Also doesn’t really need more rock or power Heads. If this will fit your space it will give you a killer depth to scape and your flow will be much better. you Have a good problem, lol which sweet new tank to buy.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 125 and I wish I would gone up to 180 or bigger. But I already have to buy lights and wavepumps for a 6' tank so in my case the cost increase would be minimal.
with length being around twice as long as width and height

Dimensions wise that sounds very much like a 120.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the 180 if you get the 120 you'll wish you got the 180 later down the line

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the 180 if you get the 120 you'll wish you got the 180 later down the line
And if I get the 180, I'll wish I had gotten the 220, and so on. I'm not interested in going bigger and bigger, and I'm mostly just interested in the little fish. I don't want a ton of maintenance and equipment, and I only have so much money and space.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 23 year old 60”x18”x24”tall. I hate the front to back of 18”. I don’t feel 24” front to back will be much better. I would consider for you a 150 gal. 48”x30”x24”tall. Or a 180 gal 48”x36”x24” tall. Giving yourself plenty of room from rock to glass for easy magnet cleaning. Also doesn’t really need more rock or power Heads. If this will fit your space it will give you a killer depth to scape and your flow will be much better. you Have a good problem, lol which sweet new tank to buy.
How many LEDs would I need? Would it be more or less the same as a 120 or would it require a third LED light set?

I'm planning on getting a maxima clam for this tank, and I know they need lots of light.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would compromise and do a 150. Its 5 feet long. Most of the equipment needed for a 120 will also work on a 150. 48in LED bars or T5s would work just fine. A T5 hybrid with 2 LED fixtures would work on a mixed reef. That extra foot of DT also adds more space in the cabinet allowing more space for electronics and dosing set ups. The price difference between a 120 and a 150 is rather small as well and it does allow for a lot more live stock. After set up you are only looking at maybe 10 - 20 more gallons so the affect on water changes would also be minimal. Just MHO. In the end do what makes you happy.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would compromise and do a 150. Its 5 feet long. Most of the equipment needed for a 120 will also work on a 150. 48in LED bars or T5s would work just fine. A T5 hybrid with 2 LED fixtures would work on a mixed reef. That extra foot of DT also adds more space in the cabinet allowing more space for electronics and dosing set ups. The price difference between a 120 and a 150 is rather small as well and it does allow for a lot more live stock. After set up you are only looking at maybe 10 - 20 more gallons so the affect on water changes would also be minimal. Just MHO. In the end do what makes you happy.
Thanks for the advice :)

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm still gonna go with the 120 gallon. The look of a 150 just isn't doing it for me in comparison.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm still gonna go with the 120 gallon. The look of a 150 just isn't doing it for me in comparison.

I know you are settled on the 120 but let me give you one more pitch on the 180 if you have the space:

You don't need to buy extra expensive lights for the extra 2ft. You certainly can light the first 4 ft with the lights you'd buy for the 120 and then get a used/inexpensive unit for the last two feet and keep low light corals there. It really wouldn't add much cost at all, like $20-50.

The extra 2ft isn't going to add any real long term cost for water changes either. Minimal.
But with the extra volume and length your options for fish are bigger and the water can be more stable.

My 2c.

I have a 300g - 6ft x 3ft x 27" high.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m with zalick on this one I have 120 gallon tank in my living room and a 300 gallon in my basement only reason why I have the 120 is because it’s all that would fit after putting rocks and sand in it and putting a few fish you don’t realize how much nicer it would look if the fish had more room to swim around and it was more open I would recommend if you have the 6 foot space to get the bigger tank as he also said the cost of set up will not be much more at all and you only need two lights to start would be sufficient and everything from a 120 can also be Used on the 180

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went through that same dilemma. I went back and forth deciding whether to get a 120 or a 150. I ended up going with the 120 for several reasons. First, the space i had. A 120 fit perfectly with 2 feet of space to the side. My sump is behind the tank and is fully accessible. The 150 would have only given me 1 foot of space to get by, which would have been a little tight. Second, the 120 is perfectly lighted by 2 LEDs. 5 foot is too much imo for 2 LEDs. Third, the 120 is the same depth as the 150 and like you, i like smaller fish. The 120 to me is a perfect size. If i went bigger, i would go at least 200. I ended up going with SC Aquariums as they were the best overall value i could find. I am definitely happy with my decision.

Attachments

• 20201108_162116.jpg
    20201108_162116.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200506_074727.jpg
    20200506_074727.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 65

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look, bud, you're going to do what we say. It may be your money, your house, and your tank... but we'll let you know how to do it. Got it?

Make sure to start a build thread when you get everything together. They don't get a lot of interaction, but it's nice for others to look through and see what it takes.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, bud, you're going to do what we say. It may be your money, your house, and your tank... but we'll let you know how to do it. Got it?

Make sure to start a build thread when you get everything together. They don't get a lot of interaction, but it's nice for others to look through and see what it takes.
Ummmm... I started this thread to get ideas and suggestions from people more experienced than me. But at the end of the day, it IS my money, it IS my house, and it IS my tank. So no, I'm not going to "do what you say," and I don't "got it" and I really don't appreciate you acting like some boss or elite who's just presumes to just tell me what to do. It's because of comments like this that turn some people off from the hobby

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummmm... I started this thread to get ideas and suggestions from people more experienced than me. But at the end of the day, it IS my money, it IS my house, and it IS my tank. So no, I'm not going to "do what you say," and I don't "got it" and I really don't appreciate you acting like some boss or elite who's just presumes to just tell me what to do. It's because of comments like this that turn some people off from the hobby
He was only joking. I'm sure he meant nothing by it, just aquarist humor.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back