OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I haven't updated this build thread in a bit. So here we go...

I've been battling Dinos from nearly the beginning. I've never had Dinos in my 25+ years of reefkeeping, so this was a mystery and a learning curve for me. I didn't do anything different with this tank than my other tanks...other than using Dr. Tim's bacteria for a fishless cycle. I'm not saying that it has anything to do with it, but it's the first time I've used Dr. Tims, and this is the only tank with this issue.

I'm currently using DinoX, and I'm about halfway through the 10 dose treatment plan. The Dinos are dying off, and the rocks are clearing up (sand is slowly clearing). It's been a non-stop battle of blowing off rocks and changing filter socks.

I've also lost all of my SPS frags during this Dino battle. The only thing I can think of is that the toxins from the dying Dinos is responsible. My LPS seem unaffected. When dosing DinoX, you need to keep your carbon off, and no waterchanges. Not ideal, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Here's a still from a video I made of my Dino battle (to be featured on an upcoming episode of T.J.'s Reef!):
vlcsnap-2021-04-06-08h03m21s864.png

So what else is going on? Well, I'm changing out my lights! I bit the bullet and I'm switching out my ReefBreeder for 4 Radion XR15 G5 Pros. I've also switched out my wavemakers to Vortech MP40's. Updates on the new gear to follow.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the latest PAR maps. Measurements taken with an Apogee Quantum PAR meter. I went back and checked the measurements with my Seneye, and they were surprisingly VERY close to the Apogee readings.
Lights are 4 Radion XR15 G5 Pros.
Yes, dinos are in the tank, but clearing out nicely. Been dosing DinoX, blowing off rocks and using filter socks. Going to be vacuuming sand through filter sock, as you're not supposed to do waterchanges during DinoX treatment.

IMG_0781 (1).jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0784.jpeg
IMG_0781.jpeg

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it looks like I may have finally beat out the Dinos. The stuff that's still stuck on the rocks and sand appears to be dead. Not producing any more bubbles during the lighting hours. Blows/scrapes off the rocks easily, so I'll be getting carbon back online and doing a waterchange tonight.

During this dino battle, I lost every one of my SPS test corals. LPS and softies appear to be doing ok, except for one Acan. My thought is that the dino die-off toxins may have triggered the SPS to die. They all started to die at the same time. If anyone has a thought on this, I'd love to hear about it.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also sent my ICP test out today (04/13/21), so I'm excited to see the results. Perhaps there is something in the water that I'm not aware of.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a bit since I've updated this build thread. So instead of typing out everything, which is boring, here's my latest video from my YouTube channel. Enjoy!

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd post an update on the tank. Added some new corals from Joe Knows Reef and their live sale the other week. Everything arrived alive and appears to be doing great in the tank. Overall I'm happy with their corals, however, their pictures are a bit off. I think they filter their pictures WAY too much. For example, here's a green psammy. Their pic vs mine:
joe.jpg
IMG_1537.JPEG

Anyways, I'm working on putting together some growth comparison pics, as things are finally starting to take off. It seems some corals, especially SPS, can sit for a bit before they really start to show growth. So look for a new post soon. Here's one last pic, showing how clear the water is. This is a shot from one side of the tank to the other (4 feet). Enjoy!
IMG_1540.JPEG

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is coming along nicely, especially after beating the dino.

Can I ask what made you want to upgrade from the reefbreeders fixture to the Radions? I was seriously considering a Photon v2 as well, but went with the XR15s.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is coming along nicely, especially after beating the dino.

Can I ask what made you want to upgrade from the reefbreeders fixture to the Radions? I was seriously considering a Photon v2 as well, but went with the XR15s.
Funny enough, I just posted a new video about this!

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Nice video - I’m surprised you went 100% on all four lights though. Did you check PAR w/out the diffusers installed as well?

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Nice video - I’m surprised you went 100% on all four lights though. Did you check PAR w/out the diffusers installed as well?
Actually, after the video, I looked at my schedule again and I'm not running 100%. It's actually running at 90% of the schedule. So, looking at the picture below, I'm running at around 70% (or just a bit under).

Yes, I did a PAR map both before and after adding the diffusers. I'd say they dropped PAR by about an average of 10. Some spots a bit more, some a bit less. Overall, not really much to make a difference IMO. But the diffusers do make a much more blended look.

IMG_1826.PNG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job man and cool video!

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after the video, I looked at my schedule again and I'm not running 100%. It's actually running at 90% of the schedule. So, looking at the picture below, I'm running at around 70% (or just a bit under).

Yes, I did a PAR map both before and after adding the diffusers. I'd say they dropped PAR by about an average of 10. Some spots a bit more, some a bit less. Overall, not really much to make a difference IMO. But the diffusers do make a much more blended look.

IMG_1826.PNG
Its interesting because I watched the BRSTV videos on the Sunpower T5 and Xr15 PAR readings. They had the Radions set at 100%, and the PAR was slightly less in the center than the T5 fixture. The sides were slightly higher than the T5, though. Not at all what I would have expected.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As good as everything has been running, just noticed that one of my acros RTN'd overnight on me! It was my Terra Red Acro from WWC. It encrusted really great, had great color and appeared just fine. I just ran parameters last night and everything was fine. Not seeing any other issues with any of the other acros or SPS.

I cut off the frag, but left the encrusted plug to see if it continues or to see if it survives.

64875224377__80D52FAD-F0C6-4BF1-8576-B312C8D43D6E.jpeg
64875226559__341EE852-E91C-4845-BAC4-D238E4E589C3.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back