120 resurrection

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last 15 years or so ive been the proud owner of a 4' 120. Ive had several other tanks but this footprint seems to be the one that i enjoy the most. Tore it down and got out of the hobby about 5 years ago when we were doing some remodeling, and just now getting back to putting it back up. A lot has changed in the last few years since I've been away from the hobby and outside of the tank itself I dont think I am going to use any of the existing hardware. New plumbing, pumps, lights, basically everything. Ive got a couple ideas to clean up the installation - hiding cabling in a closet behind the tank, running ato plumbing/water change plumbing through the same closet and into our laundry room. Heres what it looked like before teardown in 2016.

tank1.jpg

On the trailer coming out of storage:

tank2.jpg

Cleanish and ready for plumbing

tank3.jpg

Further information to come as events warrant. I'm getting stoked about it...but realize I dont have the network of fish buddies that I used to which is kind of a bummer and also I havent started a tank from scratch in probably 20 years. I always rolled one setup into the next, or used stuff from an existing tank to kickstart a new one. Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheering for you! A 120 is a great size for a reef tank!

OP
OP
H

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced bulkheads yesterday, looks like it’s a good thing I decided to do that as one was apparently cracked and leaking as is evident by the residue on the gasket. it must have been leaking into the sump drain as i never noticed a leak.

bulkhead.jpg

OP
OP
H

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got lights in and mounted. sand, salt, powerheads got delivered also. still have plumbing to go and water test.
tank4.jpg

OP
OP
H

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no picture updates but i did get a tunze ato and a return pump delivered yesterday. rodi system last week. getting closer.

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 120 in November! My favorite size tank so far. Perfect footprint in my opinion! Good luck with the new setup!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back