120 rimless build

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a custom 120 from exotic aquariums in miami. Its 48" long 36" wide and 16" tall. The front three sides are 1/2" star fire glass and the back is covered with black acrylic with a center external overflow. It also has to returns on either side of the overflow.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 273
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 243

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be one awesome lagoon right there. Beautiful tank. What plans do you have for the tank, coral? lighting? ect.

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, just one question. Are you concerned with only having one drain pipe? Or is there a back up drain that we can not see?
Either way, you have a great start.

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, just one question. Are you concerned with only having one drain pipe? Or is there a back up drain that we can not see?
Either way, you have a great start.

I was thinking the exact same thing. There should be at least two drain holes. If the drain gets plugged, your going to have a flood.

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be one awesome lagoon right there. Beautiful tank. What plans do you have for the tank, coral? lighting? ect.

Im planning on just sps in this tank but my addiction will for sure over come this plan in the long run. Maybe a few tangs?
The lighting will consist of 72 3w leds and 2 48" tek lights on either side of the led which will be placed in the center of the tank. I posted some diy pics on the diy forum ur welcome to check those out. Thats about as far as i have gotten on the planning because im working on a budget lol!!!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a single 1 1/2" drain in the center. Im not really aware of any issues with this. Please reply with ur concerns

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the exact same thing. There should be at least two drain holes. If the drain gets plugged, your going to have a flood.

I am around an near my tank almost 12 hours a day. My previous job was plumbing and i know clogs can but dont happen over night. My question to you is what would make it through the slits of the overflow and clog this pipe immediately.

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a single 1 1/2" drain in the center. Im not really aware of any issues with this. Please reply with ur concerns

Typically its best to have multiple drains in case 1 fails/clogs, I have a prop tank with only 1 drain and the other day a snail got in it and clogged it enough that 90g of water got pumped into my garage out the side of the prop tank. ha it was lots of fun

and i have no idea how a snail that big got in there.. sneaky ninja snail i guess

Last edited:

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go on vacation I worry a bit, even knowing I have a back up. I could not imagine leaving for a few days without a back up drain. I would suggest adding a top to the overflow box if you dont already have one.
If anything gets stuck in your drain like fish that jumped over, seaweed, snail or a combination of anything or even build up in the drain or you accidently adjust your drain gate value incorrectly and your tank water slowly rises, there is nothing to stop water from going all over the floor. My back up drain has been needed a couple times over the last year :) On the other hand many have kept tank with one drain for many years. Better safe than sorry though.

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically its best to have multiple drains in case 1 fails/clogs, I have a prop tank with only 1 drain and the other day a snail got in it and clogged it enough that 90g of water got pumped into my garage out the side of the prop tank. ha it was lots of fun

and i have no idea how a snail that big got in there.. sneaky ninja snail i guess

lol yes snails are sneaky lil things. I plan on having a piece of acrylic cover the over flow with vent holes to prevent snails from climbing over the grate. But as far as clogs go i cant imagine any thing that would stop this pipe after making it the grate. Im not dismissing ur concerns i just feel like i do so much preventive maintenance to my systems that there would be a small chance of this happening. Just think of it the way i am the sink in your kitchen is 1 1/2" pipe just like my drain on my tank think of all the things you send down that drain every day from the garbage disposal or grease.

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank Boxer! Bob from Exotic also built my aquarium. Welcome to Reef2Reef, I'm right around the corner, let me know if you ever need any help.

Cheers,

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank Boxer! Bob from Exotic also built my aquarium. Welcome to Reef2Reef, I'm right around the corner, let me know if you ever need any help.

Cheers,
Thanks, They do an awesome job dont they? So happy. Same to you my fellow reefer

SAWDUSTINTANK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tagging along for this one. I have a 36"x30"x16" and I really enjoy the 30" front to back. Its easy to lay out corals. Enjoy!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back