Will this stop fish jumping?

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, does anyone know if having the aquarium completely flush with the wall like this means that the fish wouldnt jump? The black ramp thing on the side will just be a piece of acrylic on a hinge which the external overflow box will be under- this means that the only place they can jump out of the aquarium is the front and so if I eurobrace this tank do you think I will be safe? - sorry it wouldnt let me directly insert image so link will have to do

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The only way is a fully coverable lid which can be mesh or an egg crate. It’s not worth fish suicide.
I know it wouldn't be entirely safe but im trying to make a shallow lagoon ish tank similar looking to julian sprungs pond - the fish in here are all slow methodical swimmers like bangaiis and mandarins

JamesB74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown for some reason only jumps at night. And always in the center ,but he's wierd like that

JamesB74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my clown in my over hang this morning, lol

Attachments

• 20240412_095519.jpg
    20240412_095519.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my clown in my over hang this morning, lol
What im going to do- i will have a sort of peninsula coast to coast overflow so I will put a piece of acrylic over like in the photo so they just slide down into the display instead of getting into the overflow

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any tank right up against a wall. Any shifting/settling of the tank over time could potentially put pressure on the walls. However, I did something similar to this years ago where I had angled glass pieces blocking all gaps between the tank and walls. Nothing will stop fish from attempting to jump, but this eliminated the vast majority of negative outcomes.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, does anyone know if having the aquarium completely flush with the wall like this means that the fish wouldnt jump? The black ramp thing on the side will just be a piece of acrylic on a hinge which the external overflow box will be under- this means that the only place they can jump out of the aquarium is the front and so if I eurobrace this tank do you think I will be safe? - sorry it wouldnt let me directly insert image so link will have to do

Depending on the critters you raise. If they can jump or crawl they will. So not clear by your drawing but you need light. I ended up making my own screen covers. Since I don't raise eels or crawly things this will do me. I also will velcro it down. My tang seems to know not to

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the critters you raise. If they can jump or crawl they will. So not clear by your drawing but you need light. I ended up making my own screen covers. Since I don't raise eels or crawly things this will do me. I also will velcro it down. My tang seems to know not to
im hanging the lights from the ceiling - also to cover the front I decided to use a fly screen on a hinge attached to the wall on the left basically like a mesh door. Ive done this because I plan to have lots of mangroves and 1 or 2 rock islands in the tank that just wouldn't work with a lid above it

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any tank right up against a wall. Any shifting/settling of the tank over time could potentially put pressure on the walls. However, I did something similar to this years ago where I had angled glass pieces blocking all gaps between the tank and walls. Nothing will stop fish from attempting to jump, but this eliminated the vast majority of negative outcomes.
they are both load bearing walls if that changes anything - are fish likely to jump out the front of the aquarium? I suppose some are because thats the only way they can see out but im not sure

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never not have some kind of cover. Even lazy fish can become chips on the floor given the opportunity.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never not have some kind of cover. Even lazy fish can become chips on the floor given the opportunity.
cant have a cover on this tank but I can cover the gap in the front with a hinged flyscreen - mangroves and rock islands sticking out of the tank which I would have to cut holes out of the lid for which would just defeat the whole purpose of it really

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant have a cover on this tank but I can cover the gap in the front with a hinged flyscreen - mangroves and rock islands sticking out of the tank which I would have to cut holes out of the lid for which would just defeat the whole purpose of it really
Ah, I see. Well I’d still cover the most obvious spots if I could. But yeah kinda difficult to do it with that set up

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. Well I’d still cover the most obvious spots if I could. But yeah kinda difficult to do it with that set up
Yeah I was racking my brain for a while but I will just attach to hinges to the front of the closet wall that you can see on the right and put one of those flyscreen doors on it but with clear mesh basically

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was racking my brain for a while but I will just attach to hinges to the front of the closet wall that you can see on the right and put one of those flyscreen doors on it but with clear mesh basically
I had a dilemma with my 90 gallon acrylic as it has 2 cut out holes on top. Ended up using mesh cookie racks to cover them. My wife’s idea

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are both load bearing walls if that changes anything - are fish likely to jump out the front of the aquarium? I suppose some are because thats the only way they can see out but im not sure
Took 2 years my clown finally went carpet surfing

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back