$120 Yellow Tang?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the PetCo in Waldorf. They had one of their tags below an Aquarium, with a Yellow Tang Pictured, priced at $119,99. There wasn’t a Yellow Tang in the Tank. There was a Yellow Mimic Tang, in that Aquarium, but had it’s own Tag, and a price of $79.99. Just wondering, if PetCo was able to secure Yellow Tangs at a lower price. BTW, there was no AC designation on the tag. Of course no one on duty had a clue.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the PetCo in Waldorf. They had one of their tags below an Aquarium, with a Yellow Tang Pictured, priced at $119,99. There wasn’t a Yellow Tang in the Tank. There was a Yellow Mimic Tang, in that Aquarium, but had it’s own Tag, and a price of $79.99. Just wondering, if PetCo was able to secure Yellow Tangs at a lower price. BTW, there was no AC designation on the tag. Of course no one on duty had a clue.
That's false advertising, take advantage of it and tell them you want the yellow tang at $120 as advertised. they should honour the price.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nuts that Yellows are so expensive.

Had 3 in my old tank, really just an afterthought fish, but they were $20-30 back then...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's false advertising, take advantage of it and tell them you want the yellow tang at $120 as advertised. they should honour the price.
I don't think that's how it works. If they Had a yellow tang and sold it, and the tag is still up in the enclosure, that doesn't mean they need to still honor the price on something that is no longer in stock/for sale.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's how it works. If they Had a yellow tang and sold it, and the tag is still up in the enclosure, that doesn't mean they need to still honor the price on something that is no longer in stock/for sale.
If the tag was below a tank for a yellow tang and still had a yellow tang in that tank , I’d challenge it .

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no its not. The Mimic Tang had its own tag. So you can't say the Yellow Tang tag was false advertising unless they never had a yellow tang. You have no evidence that they did not in fact have a Yellow Tang that had already been sold by the time OP saw the tag. Also a price posted on a shelf is not an advertisement, so it can't be a false advertisement.

Mo.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one on duty had a clue, then I expect the yellow tang would have been yours for $119.99 :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Mo.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nuts that Yellows are so expensive.

Had 3 in my old tank, really just an afterthought fish, but they were $20-30 back then...
Agree. Believe it or not, Yellow tangs are more expensive than gem tangs in UK now!

But I also remember when Indo Tenuis SPS colonies were £40- 60 ($60-80) in UK, when 1" frags of the same coral were named and charged $100-200 in US. Now it's the same price everywhere for 1" frags......named fragged.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Believe it or not, Yellow tangs are more expensive than gem tangs in UK now!

But I also remember when Indo Tenuis SPS colonies were £40- 60 ($60-80) in UK, when 1" frags of the same coral were named and charged $100-200 in US. Now it's the same price everywhere for 1" frags......named fragged.
More expensive than a gem tang now? Dang, that’s wild when a yellow tang has gotten that high in price haha

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the yellow tang tag is in their system from long ago. They probably printed both tags by mistake.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stood back from the Tanks, and observed for quiet sometime. There wasn’t a Yellow Tang in the Aquarium! The Lady who does the Fish, was not on duty, other Employees were clueless. There was a Yellow Mimic Tang in that Tank, both Tags had Pictures of the Tangs, so I doubt it was a mistake. Just wondering, if anyone else has seen Yellow Tangs at PetCo? The Price?

jerricolaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not wrong, I’ve also seen that 119.99 price tag on yellow tangs. I’ve seen crazy low prices at my local Petco. Idk how they get their fish but they’re always lower priced than the local mom and pop fish stores around. I do notice that the delivery day is wednesday and by Friday they have nothing in the store. Especially when its a good steal like that.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give a heads up to my Reef Club. For undesirable algae, I haven’t found a critter that is better at controlling it. My Rescued Yellow Tang is healed over from the HLLE. It‘s completely Yellow over the place above its eyes. The Yellow does look a slight shade off, but not by much.

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but Petco prices are always much lower than any other online vendor or other lfs these days. So much in fact I now only order my livestock from the store. Just bought a pbt for $68. Plus am a premium vital care member for $10/month that gives an additional 20% off livestock plus an extra $5 dollar coupon monthly and other discounts too

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the yellow tang tag is in their system from long ago. They probably printed both tags by mistake.
NO, thats not how it works at Petco. If the tag was there they recently had a fish in that tank that was sold to them as a yellow tang by their wholesaler.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but Petco prices are always much lower than any other online vendor or other lfs these days. So much in fact I now only order my livestock from the store. Just bought a pbt for $68. Plus am a premium vital care member for $10/month that gives an additional 20% off livestock plus an extra $5 dollar coupon monthly and other discounts too
I also get most of my fish on order from Petco as well. That vital care deal is so great.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the Pandemic and Right after, the PetCo in La Plata, would take some Saltwater Fish, and they went in their Frag Tank, but not anymore. Don’t think the Waldorf Store ever took fish in.

Back