120gal Custom Acrylic

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I spoke with Gaia Live (check out their website, they have beautiful corals) and began ironing out the details for my new build! Marine Ecological Habitats will be building me a custom 120 Acrylic tank. While many may not know the name, they are world renowned for their acrylic Lobster tanks. Well they also do custom aquariums. I dont really have any pictures to post yet but as soon as they start coming in i will share them. This my first jump into acrylic tanks and also my largest build yet. I have learned a lot from my past mistakes so im very excited to be starting fresh and with a little more experience under my belt.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technical drawing is in! This design allows for an external overflow and euro bracing to provide stability instead of needing a center brace. The external overflow will be custom built and welded to the back of the tank, instead of requiring drilled bulkheads. Also got my shipment of 50lbs of Reef Saver rock in today! Brings my total rock weight to 70lbs.

120 gallon-Gaia.jpg

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw you on Maine Aquaria, but on here more so I thought I'd follow along here. New tanks are always exciting.
Thanks for following along! I try to be active in both places, just R2R is much more active than Maine Aquaria. I will definitely keep both build threads updated. I put the deposit down last week so hope to have build pictures soon as they start!

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered heaters and a controller tonight. Decided to go with 2 Eheim Jager 200w heaters and an Inkbird dual probe wifi controller. Was originally going to use BRS titanium elements but it would double the cost to get their correct size heater and quadruple the cost if I did the redundant 70% heating solution like they recommend.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a plan for what type of corals and fish you’ll keep?
Im going to be taking in some fish from my parents who are leaving the hobby. Blue tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang. Rabbit fish. Pair of Clarkii clowns, and a hawk fish. Probably a wrasse or 2. As for corals i plan on doing a mixed reef with a nice zoa garden, acros and euphyllia.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back of the tank has been painted and overflow has been drilled. They decided to switch up to a ghost style overflow which i like the looks of! Now they just gotta drill the return holes. Optimistic that the tank will be finished next week.
IMG_7113.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back