New Custom Acrylic Tank Build

RocketGuy321

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reef fans,

I am new to the reefing hobby and designing my first acrylic aquarium so wanted to ask the folks in the know about tank sizing and construction. I know its highly dependent on what you want to do and the space you have.

A bit of background. I have had fresh water aquariums since I was little, but have always wanted a saltwater tank. I started the build/conversion of my 125 All-Glass tank to a reef build (drilled/overflow/plumbing/new 55 gal sump) many years ago. However that build was ~9 years ago now as other things in life took precedence. The tank itself has sat empty (besides a couple of fills to check for leaks) for 15 years. So it really needs to be resealed. With that I think its time to build the dream tank and finally make this a reality.

Sizing:

Plan is to have the tank dimensions be 72x30, but not sure yet on height. A height of 24 in is less costly due to it being less waste, but thinking of going to 30 in high. Currently if I go 72x30x30 its ~$1200 more than a 72x30x24. I know the deeper you go the more flow/lighting and making it harder to reach things.

Construction:

Currently getting quotes from Midwest Custom and Tsunami for the build. They are pretty competitively priced, so wanted to see what experience folks have had with these companies. I have researched them a bunch, but looking for some recent experience. I am in Florida so I could possibly drive to pick up the Tsunami, however it would be a pretty epic drive. So far both have been pretty responsive.

Planning on also having an external overflow for a BeanAnimal setup and drilled for returns and a custom sump build.

Midwest: I originally asked for a quote on a 72x30x25 and they would build it out of 3/4 on the sides and 1/2 on top/bottom.
Tsunami: The 72x30x24 would be 1/2 all the way around and the 72x30x30 would be 3/4 all the way around

Open to feedback from folks as this will be a large purchase and want to make sure I think of all the details.

Thank you all in advance!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

To be fair, your All Glass tank doesn't need to be resealed just because it sat empty for some years. I've had tanks in storage for years and years in between uses, never had a problem 🙂

But that said, if you're moving forward on a custom acrylic build, I have to suggest that you at least consider Glass Cages, who by all accounts does excellent work (and they do acrylic too!) The owner is an active member here at Reef2Reef to help publicly or privately.

https://glasscages.com/

@Joe Glass Cages

Good luck whichever way you go!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

To be fair, your All Glass tank doesn't need to be resealed just because it sat empty for some years. I've had tanks in storage for years and years in between uses, never had a problem 🙂

But that said, if you're moving forward on a custom acrylic build, I have to suggest that you at least consider Glass Cages, who by all accounts does excellent work (and they do acrylic too!) The owner is an active member here at Reef2Reef to help publicly or privately.

https://glasscages.com/

@Joe Glass Cages

Good luck whichever way you go!
Thank you!

Glad to be part of the community.

I have definitely gone back and forth my current tank. My fear of the tank leaking is prob more unfounded than it needs to be. I think it would prob be fine, but I am a bit scarred from fixing all the hidden water damage our house had when we bought it. So would like to have some peace of mind. That being said it was set up as a in wall/peninsula and we don’t have really the setup for that in our house currently.

I had not realized that Glass Cages did many acrylic aquariums so will check them out again. I did go to their site a few times to price out a custom glass tank and it was about 2.5 times that of an acrylic so have been shopping around for quotes.
 
Hello fellow reef fans,

I am new to the reefing hobby and designing my first acrylic aquarium so wanted to ask the folks in the know about tank sizing and construction. I know its highly dependent on what you want to do and the space you have.

A bit of background. I have had fresh water aquariums since I was little, but have always wanted a saltwater tank. I started the build/conversion of my 125 All-Glass tank to a reef build (drilled/overflow/plumbing/new 55 gal sump) many years ago. However that build was ~9 years ago now as other things in life took precedence. The tank itself has sat empty (besides a couple of fills to check for leaks) for 15 years. So it really needs to be resealed. With that I think its time to build the dream tank and finally make this a reality.

Sizing:

Plan is to have the tank dimensions be 72x30, but not sure yet on height. A height of 24 in is less costly due to it being less waste, but thinking of going to 30 in high. Currently if I go 72x30x30 its ~$1200 more than a 72x30x24. I know the deeper you go the more flow/lighting and making it harder to reach things.

Construction:

Currently getting quotes from Midwest Custom and Tsunami for the build. They are pretty competitively priced, so wanted to see what experience folks have had with these companies. I have researched them a bunch, but looking for some recent experience. I am in Florida so I could possibly drive to pick up the Tsunami, however it would be a pretty epic drive. So far both have been pretty responsive.

Planning on also having an external overflow for a BeanAnimal setup and drilled for returns and a custom sump build.

Midwest: I originally asked for a quote on a 72x30x25 and they would build it out of 3/4 on the sides and 1/2 on top/bottom.
Tsunami: The 72x30x24 would be 1/2 all the way around and the 72x30x30 would be 3/4 all the way around

Open to feedback from folks as this will be a large purchase and want to make sure I think of all the details.

Thank you all in advance!
Just drove almost 500 miles round trip wednesday and picked up a new acrylic from Midwest Custom (60"l x 30"w x 20"h peninsula, external overflow), powder coated steel stand (will be skinning and modifying it myself), and 36"x18"x16" sump (amazing quality sump). Build quality is better then the 8 different tanks I have had since 2008ish. His shop is amazing and saw some of his other projects which had some 2 and 3 inch thick acrylic going on. Still have not unwrapped it because the 90g has to be moved out and this one is taking its place.

Height is preference, I like being able to work in the tank easily to move, mount, trim corals and I don't plan on a substrate so 20" works for me. Taller always seems to be more impressive for viewing though, the 90g is 24" deep in the background of the pic.

Will start a build thread soon.
20261009_134531.webp
20261008_123649.webp

20261009_134531.webp

20261009_134608.webp

20261009_134635.webp
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new