MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a H. malu rather than a H. aurora
Here is a picture on the Net of the tentacles of a Malu
2560px-Clark%27s_Anemonefish_%28Amphiprion_clarkii%29_in_Beaded_Sea_Anemone_%28Heteractis_aurora%29_%288455438417%29.jpg

I've always gone off the following for identification of Heteractis anemones:

H. aurora: Short tentacles, occasionally longer at the perimeter of the oral disc, beaded or warty in appearance, rarely with colored tips. Column and underside of oral disc covered heavily in white verrucae. Sand dwelling

H. malu: Short tentacles, occasionally longer at the perimeter of the oral disc, smooth, tapered, occasionally with colored tips. Sparse to medium covering of white verrucae on underside of oral disc and column. Sand dwelling

H. crispa: medium to long tentacles, uniform in length, smooth, strongly tapered, occasionally with colored tips. Sparse verrucae on underside of oral disc and column. Typically rock dwelling

H. magnifica: medium length tentacles, uniform in length, smooth, can display either tapered or rounded tip, occasionally with colored tips. Column can be brightly colored, sparse verrucae. Rock dwelling

Judging by the tentacles (which were much more 'beaded' at the LFS) and the heavy covering of verrucae, I'd say this squarely falls under aurora. Even the picture you posted comes up under Heteractis aurora on Google haha.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone does not have the bumps on the tentacles required for Aurora. Malu does not always have bands on the tentacles, but these bands, when they have it, are unique of the host anemones (unless you count the bumps on tentacles of Aurora as bands).
Basically your anemone lacks prominent bumps on tentacles of an Aurora.

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as I said, it was just added to the tank today and the tentacles were definitely quite bumpy at the LFS. I've had several malu in the past, some had white striations, however, none had any sort of raised ridges or bumps. The tentacles were always smooth. Appreciate your input, but I disagree with your ID

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up another magnifica from Pacific East Aquaculture, this one has a green oral disc and tentacles with a bright purple base. Really pretty in person! It was fully deflated on arrival but seems to be settling in nicely in the acclimation basket, I'll give it a few days before I move it to the rockwork. (I really need to get a lens filter for my camera haha)

PXL_20221123_162729673~2.jpg

In other tank related news, I think the cinnamon clowns are going to have to go. They're super cool fish and they have a great personality, but the female is just too territorial. Final straw was watching her take a bite out the watanabei angels tail last night and then immediately after, start chasing my golden hawkfish, so she's now in the sump. If anyone in Northern Michigan is interested in a pair of clowns, HMU haha.

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another new addition! Picked up this beauty from @skyrne_isk and had to share a pic. Thanks again man!
1000000194-01~2.jpeg

In other news, the cinnamon clowns are back at the LFS and I ended up trading the aurora and white tipped mag to a friend for 2 pairs of wild caught ocellaris, super happy to be able to source some real WC clowns, not CB mutants haha

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another new addition! Picked up this beauty from @skyrne_isk and had to share a pic. Thanks again man!
1000000194-01~2.jpeg

In other news, the cinnamon clowns are back at the LFS and I ended up trading the aurora and white tipped mag to a friend for 2 pairs of wild caught ocellaris, super happy to be able to source some real WC clowns, not CB mutants haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back