Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your preferences and opinions
Im doing a build on a budget
The stand will be a diy wood 2x4 stand
If you're building the stand. Contact both manufacturers and see who's warranty will/will not be broken or voided by doing so. I believe the marineland says "mass produced aquarium stand" and the aqueon says "aquarium appropriate" stand.

Personally, I have an Aqueon 180 on a marineland stand.

I actually sell both tanks in my day job (distribution sales rep). If you're getting it with the overflows, think about where it is going in the room. If both back corners will be blocked, go marineland with the corner overflows. If the corners will be visible, go aqueon with the overflows on the back wall.

If you're drilling the aquarium yourself, the warranty is voided for both. Both have very similar glass clarity, and you can only tell a difference when the tank is empty, when they are full, they will look the same

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are getting the reef-ready editions of both...

Personal preference, but I like the back overflows layout of the Aqueon better than the large side overflows of the Marineland.

The Marineland overflows take up way too much of the side viewing space (6" I believe?) - and you can see what's behind the overflows - not a "clean" look.

The Marineland side overflows also make the tank "look" smaller when viewing it straight on.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I will say, the warranty played a big part in my decision on an aqueon tank. It is a lifetime warranty against defect, which is about 100x better than what the "premium" brands (redsea, waterbox, IM) offer on theirs.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon will be the cheapest because the have sales pretty often and they quality is pretty much exactly the same as marine land.
one big difference is Marineland will let you know if any panes are tempered. Aqueon uses whatever glass is available, sometimes multiple panes are tempered and others are not on the same tank.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're building the stand. Contact both manufacturers and see who's warranty will/will not be broken or voided by doing so. I believe the marineland says "mass produced aquarium stand" and the aqueon says "aquarium appropriate" stand.

I actually sell both tanks in my day job (distribution sales rep). If you're getting it with the overflows, think about where it is going in the room. If both back corners will be blocked, go marineland with the corner overflows. If the corners will be visible, go aqueon with the overflows on the back wall.

If you're drilling the aquarium yourself, the warranty is voided for both. Both have very similar glass clarity, and you can only tell a difference when the tank is empty, when they are full, they will look the same
Interesting... which is "clearer"...?

And which would you say is better "aesthetically looking" - as far as the silicone around the sides, bottom, and overflows, etc....?

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are getting the reef-ready editions of both...

Personal preference, but I like the back overflows layout of the Aqueon better than the large side overflows of the Marineland.

The Marineland overflows take of way too much of the side viewing space (6" I believe?) - and you can see what's behind the overflows - not a "clean" look.

The Marineland side overflows also make the tank "look" smaller when viewing it straight on.

My my .02
Yes both would be the reef ready options
I agree with you on the overflows but having flow behind the rock is a big one for me so a column in the back vs ugly sides still not sure

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one big difference is Marineland will let you know if any panes are tempered. Aqueon uses whatever glass is available, sometimes multiple panes are tempered and others are not on the same tank.
Not really a problem as im not drilling i would get both reef ready

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm interesting didn’t really think of that but what is a warranty really covering just the tank
The standard stands are really short and I really don’t like them

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... which is "clearer"...?

And which would you say is better "aesthetically looking" - as far as the silicone around the sides, bottom, and overflows, etc....?
I don't think there is any noticeable difference in clarity of the glass between the brands.

The Marineland tanks are neater on the silicone, especially by the trim. The aqueon silicone job is PERFECT where it is visible, but not as much detail was taken to the edges covered by the trim on the tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm interesting didn’t really think of that but what is a warranty really covering just the tank
The standard stands are really short and I really don’t like them
The aqueon covers the tank, and damages from a failure to any equipment.

The marineland warranty used to cover EVERYTHING, as long as you used a marineland stand. It covered tank/stand/equimpment/damages to the house/ ect. They may have changed it, but I'm not sure.

I built a riser for my stand out of 2x6. I'll get a pic in a little bit

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any noticeable difference in clarity of the glass between the brands.

The Marineland tanks are neater on the silicone, especially by the trim. The aqueon silicone job is PERFECT where it is visible, but not as much detail was taken to the edges covered by the trim on the tank.
Sorry if I keep beating the horse, lol.

But, what about the silicone (black?) around the two rear overflows of the Aqueon...

Is that "perfect" also...?

And, at one time, I know Aqeuon used thicker glass on its 180+ gallon tanks than Marineland did - don't know if that is still the case...?

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aqueon covers the tank, and damages from a failure to any equipment.

The marineland warranty used to cover EVERYTHING, as long as you used a marineland stand. It covered tank/stand/equimpment/damages to the house/ ect. They may have changed it, but I'm not sure.

I built a riser for my stand out of 2x6. I'll get a pic in a little bit
I would assume a riser would make the warranty void as they can blame that for the failure
The standard cabinets are pretty vintage looking in my opinion not a lot has been updated with them

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume a riser would make the warranty void as they can blame that for the failure
The standard cabinets are pretty vintage looking in my opinion not a lot has been updated with them
yes the riser would void the warranty.

BUT, if I did have a leak or failure of some kind, it would be pretty easy to remove the riser because the tank would be empty at that point ;)

So, I mentioned the warranty in previous posts, because there seems to be little attention paid to the warranty, until it's too late. I'm sure you could contact marineland or aqueon and get approval for a 2x4 stand if you have the plans drawn up. Melevsreef on youtube has a custom made 400g marineland, and he has a steel stand that they approved for him to use on the tank and still retain the warranty.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I keep beating the horse, lol.

But, what about the silicone (black?) around the two rear overflows of the Aqueon...

Is that "perfect" also...?

And, at one time, I know Aqeuon used thicker glass on its 180+ gallon tanks than Marineland did - don't know if that is still the case...?
Yes the silicone around the overflow is done well.

I only have a single overflow, I had my tank custom drilled from aqueon to make it a peninsula (single overflow on the short side

I believe ther are both 5/8 on the 180g. For a 125 it may be 1/2in glass but I'm not positive on that

Last edited:

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the riser would void the warranty.

BUT, if I did have a leak or failure of some kind, it would be pretty easy to remove the riser because the tank would be empty at that point ;)

So, I mentioned the warranty in previous posts, because there seems to be little attention paid to the warranty, until it's too late. I'm sure you could contact marineland or aqueon and get approval for a 2x4 stand if you have the plans drawn up. Melevsreef on youtube has a custom made 400g marineland, and he has a steel stand that they approved for him to use on the tank and still retain the warranty.
A custom made Marineland...?

I wasn't aware they did that...

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A custom made Marineland...?

I wasn't aware they did that...
They don't anymore, they used to up until 2018 I think.

Aqueon has a custom drilling program where you can get certain tanks drilled for peninsula style, closed loops, ect. But it is pretty expensive and puts an aqueon tank in the same price range as a glass cages, sca, or planet aquariums.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back