125 Gallon Build

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

In the past month or so, I have been posting a lot about tank upgrading questions. After considering everything, my brother and I decided we should upgrade our 90 to a 125. Here is our thread.

Step 1 - Building the stand. The stand is built tall to put the 125 at an optimal height. Below are the dimensions.

(above) assembling the doors.
(below) the first stages of painting

Step 2 - Build the sump and plumb the tank. The sump will be a 55 gallon aquarium, with a refugium. Our pump is a danner mag drive 18 (1800gph).

(above) the 55 gallon that will be used for the sump. This was our first reef tank 6 years ago, full circle i guess.

(above) I drilled two drains into a 15 column, with limited space, this will be a frag tank. It will be fed with water from one of the central tank drains. The tank itself will then drain into the sump. I siliconed pvc pipes to the bottom to hold the eggcrate. I drilled and sanded holes in the pvc pipe so the 6line wrasse i plan on adding has swimming/ hiding spaces. The bottom will be covered with larger rock rubble to house pods.
(below) the pump we are using is a danner mag drive 1800gph pump.

Step 3 - drill the tank. We ordered the 16'' synergy overflow from BRS. We custom ordered a non-tempered 125 gallon aquarium, so it should be arriving in the next week or so.

210337-synergyreef-theshadowoverflow-1.jpg

I will post updates as we continue to work.

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would swing in here and check out your build, it looks like your pics failed to load?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back