125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sending good juju her and your way. I know it's tough. Btdt.
Thanks! We're not looking forward to it but unfortunately everyone has to go sometimes. We think she gave up a while ago. Grandpa passed and now she's selling the house because it's too big and has too many stairs. She needs almost full time care because of her hips and knees. It's going to be rough for a bit but it'll make things easier on my parents and my aunt. They're under a lot of stress and have been for a couple of years now.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quail have arrived.
Eggs coming soon!
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received the package from Algaebarn yesterday. PNS Substrate Sauce and TurboStart 900. Rocks are close to done - no more ammonia. I'm going to hopefully bring the tank in and set it up tomorrow and get it filled! I want this bad boy running when I leave for the funeral - mom is expecting it to be very soon - possibly tonight. Not looking forward to it but she's ready.

Anyway, back to the tank: hopefully it'll come inside tomorrow, mix saltwater, add sand and rock, add Substrate Sauce and TurboStart, and turn everything on. When I get back from the funeral it'll be ready for some CUC and maybe a fish or two.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are so cute!!! Poor eggs. Probably yummy too.
They're definitely different tasting than chicken eggs. These are jumbo Japanese Quail so the eggs are actually going to be larger than my old Bantam chicken eggs were.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're definitely different tasting than chicken eggs. These are jumbo Japanese Quail so the eggs are actually going to be larger than my old Bantam chicken eggs were.
I would only raise them to see baby quail. Those chicks are so adorable!!!!!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would only raise them to see baby quail. Those chicks are so adorable!!!!!
I'm raising them for baby quail, eggs, and food. I'll post baby quail pics when I hatch some though! I won't post the food, I promise.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah, I totally forgot... HR called today. They're extending the job offer for a promotion to me. Effective July 11th I'll be the new supervisor over my Water Distribution crew.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it RODI water? {Wink!} ;)
Nope! We have extra calcium AND extra magnesium in ours! Actually, our wellsite crews do run 3 reverse osmond plants - 1 for arsenic, 1 for nitrates, and 1 for hardness but the other 20+ wells and surface water are just treated/filtered.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I totally forgot... HR called today. They're extending the job offer for a promotion to me. Effective July 11th I'll be the new supervisor over my Water Distribution crew.
Who hoooo!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can post the food. I still eat quail.
I actually had a coworker ask me to make some balut for his wife once. I had no idea what it was at the time. When he explained it to me I told him I would give her some fertile eggs and she could grow her own. I would have a hard time with that one.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I actually had a coworker ask me to make some balut for his wife once. I had no idea what it was at the time. When he explained it to me I told him I would give her some fertile eggs and she could grow her own. I would have a hard time with that one.
something tells me I don't want to google that one...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All I'm going to say is it includes using an incubator but it's an "egg" dish...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quail are doing good this evening. 21 quail total - 7 or 8 brown males, 9 or 10 brown females, 3 white unknowns. I'm planning on keeping all the hens and a male (preferably a white one unless all three are hens). Our friend wants 2 or 3 hens. The other males will go to freezer camp for us and/or the dogs (my dogs eat fresh, raw food - not alive, no feathers). My buddy that gave me the quail texted me this afternoon - his laid their first egg today so mine should be coming soon.

No progress on the tank. I had to come to church after work to help with lights and computer stuff and I have a board meeting tomorrow. Thursday? Hopefully. The tank WILL be inside before I have to leave for Missouri.

Grandma was awake some today, smiled at my mom and my aunt's, some one word answers to questions and then back to sleep. Her biopsy results came back positive for an untreatable cancer. She's on pain meds but not morphine yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back