OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a FTS without the hair algae! I did some manual removal. Added a blue tang and 3 more Chromis. I'm pleased to see that the tang hasn't touched any algae or grass yet, including seaweed from the clip. Montis are growing, but not the acros. I'm really suspecting the rose fertilizer I added last summer for the seagrass to be the cause of my coral problems.
File_003.jpeg

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! Montiporas and grasses give very natural cozy look, a real inspiration for me;Bookworm

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short-- I replaced the sand bed where I added the fertilizer and did a large water change. After about a week, some of the acros are coloring up already and the mag anemone is looking better than it has for months, which is a huge relief. I'm excited for everything to finally start growing again!

The hair algae is mostly gone, and the dinos are 100% gone! Still a little cyano, and the epiphytic algae on the seagrass blades persists. Not that I'm doing anything to remove it. I plan to add some conchs in the hope that they'll eat the algae off of the grass.

I am worried about the seagrass, though. The old sand had lots of mud, fish poop, and of course fertilizer. The new sand has nothing, although I mixed in some sand from my seahorse tank. I may have to dig up some dirt and add it to the sand.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like fact you got sea grass in the tank ( very unusual to see this) and looks cool.as i never dived near a coral reef but i guess on the flats going upto the reef would have sea grass in one way shape of form then corals on the reef.anyhow good job on lay out of your tank

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread and honestly your tank is one of the best looking I've ever seen in a while. Love that scape and yellow tint light. Reminds me so much of planted tanks. Please show close up photos at different angles. I want to see and learn!!! Seriously in love with this tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back