12gal JBJ running too warm...

shawnalammers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had a problem with their 12gal biocube running too warm? It has been pretty warm the last few days, and I'm having to float ice bags to cool it down. Nothing seems too bothered by it except my frogspawn. Our airconditioning is horrible and runs all day but still stays around 77 in the house on a good day. My tank is a baby, about 3-4 months old, so I've never seen how it does when it gets REALLY warm, but I'm afraid to. I have the lid propped open all the way during the day (which makes me sad because everything looks so nice with the lid closed), and close it before I go to bed so it doesn't get too cool. Lights are on between 7-8 hours a day on a timer. Running a fan on the top isn't practical for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cost-effective chiller or other option? My husband would die if I spent $200-400 on a chiller. I think I would die as well!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the hood, and switch the lights to either T-5s or LEDs raised above the top, and add an ato system, so that you can put a small clip on fan on the rim, which will help cool the tank. 77 degrees is fine, I run my tank a 79 degrees, so if 77 is the high temp you worry about, I wouldn't be concerned at all. I am not alarmed until my tank reaches 81-82 degrees or higher.

OP
OP
S

shawnalammers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got up to 83 today. I got a rare chance to sleep in this morning, so the lid didn't get raised before lights came on. It gets up to 81-82 with the lid raised. What is an ato system? Sorry, I've still got a lot to learn. Do you have a recommended site where I can learn more about converting from the hood to lights raised above the top? Thanks for the response!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really all you have to do is take the hood off, and put a new fixture above it instead. This will work mostly b/c without the hood, their is more space for water to evaporate, cooling the system, thus the fan. An ato, or auto top off system, automatically replenishes water that evaporates with fresh water by using a mechanical float switch, which activates a pump when the water level lowers, and de activates it when the level raises.

OP
OP
S

shawnalammers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just made it sound so simple! haha! Now, any suggestions for an ato system? My mom uses some sort of jug made just for that that she sits up on top of the shelf that her MH hang from (she has a 75gal). I don't have anything like that and I'd hate to compromise the look of it with clutter. Know what I mean?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in a nearby closet, but most put it right in their stand, the whole system should be hidden.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ makes a reasonable ATO can run in three different modes and has a low water level alarm so you do not burn out your pump.
I have three set up on three different tanks with a aqualifter pump and they work well .

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back