Is 80*F too warm?

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 50w Eheim-Jager on my 10gal FOWLR with a single ocellaris clown and two blue leg hermits. Information online says the temperature range for these species caps out at 78*F, but my tank runs at 79-80*F.

The heater is set to the lowest temperature it can possibly go (65*F) but will kick on at any temperature below 77* and stabilizes at ~79*. The tank is nearly 2 months old and I've been keeping a close watch but haven't seen anything in that time to worry me about imminent failure, although it is running warmer than it has in the past. The heater itself is warm but not hot to the touch and can be comfortably handled with bare hands.

The tank is in my bedroom, which has no A/C, and I live in "Hotlanta" so I can see temperature spikes in my other tanks up to 82* on the hottest summer days. I took this into account when setting up the tank and regardless of the heater issue, I would prefer to run my tank around its current temperature anyways to cushion the potential for dramatic spikes in the warmer months. I just want to be sure, given the suggested temperature range for my livestock, whether a slightly warmer temperature is acceptable.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In small nanos and picos, sometimes the return pump and powerheads are enough to provide heating.

I would suggest getting a heater controller that turns on a heater outlet if temp drops below 77. And switches that off and turns on an alternate outlet with some tank mounted fans if temp goes above 80

77 and below - outlet 1 - heater - on, outlet 2 off

78-80 - outlet 1 and 2 - both off

81 and above -outlet 1 off, outlet 2 - fans - on

Controller

Fan example
Just search aquarium cooling fan on Amazon there are lots

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In small nanos and picos, sometimes the return pump and powerheads are enough to provide heating.

I would suggest getting a heater controller that turns on a heater outlet if temp drops below 77. And switches that off and turns on an alternate outlet with some tank mounted fans if temp goes above 80

77 and below - outlet 1 - heater - on, outlet 2 off

78-80 - outlet 1 and 2 - both off

81 and above -outlet 1 off, outlet 2 - fans - on

Controller

Fan example
Just search aquarium cooling fan on Amazon there are lots
Good suggestions, thanks! The tank is sumpless and the Aquaclear motor produces essentially no heat; no powerhead currently as the one I got was too strong coupled with the Aquaclear, which by itself produces almost too much flow even on the lowest setting. However, that powerhead made no discernible temperature difference, so I assume whichever one I get next I won't generate a ton of heat either.

I haven't gotten them yet but I already planned on cooling fans, I have a few on my axolotl tank I can borrow in the meantime should the need arise. Temperatures won't get punishing for a while yet. The controller is a great idea --- I've considered programming my own controller that could handle my lighting as well as any future hardware, I'm thinking I'll do that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back