Inkbird Alarm (Low Temperature) - why?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature at my house dropped to 72 deg F due to a user error in thermostat setting while being out of the house. I have the Inkbird set to 75-77 deg F heat range.

The temperature of the water reported by the probe was 72.7 since the temperature fell below the set 75.

Question is why did the temperature fall below 75 Deg F in the first place if the heater should be on to keep the temperatures in that set range (75 to 77)?

Please let me know what I'm missing here.

Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either you don't have enough heater wattage, the heater is broken or the inkbird or probe is failing. Do you know the actual temp of the tank? Do you hav something mechanical or a laser to measure the tank temp?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second what @jda is saying!

Consider installing a second heater on a seperate controller for redundancy. It's a price worth paying!

Get the second heater to come on at one degree lower than the primary.

1000001036.jpg

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature at my house dropped to 72 deg F due to a user error in thermostat setting while being out of the house. I have the Inkbird set to 75-77 deg F heat range.

The temperature of the water reported by the probe was 72.7 since the temperature fell below the set 75.

Question is why did the temperature fall below 75 Deg F in the first place if the heater should be on to keep the temperatures in that set range (75 to 77)?

Thanks
depending on the size of the tank you probably need higher wattage heaters. I have a 360 gallon system. I can run with 2x300w heaters for 8 months of the year. the other 4 i have to swap a 300w for a 500w or this happens to me as well.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the size of the tank you probably need higher wattage heaters. I have a 360 gallon system. I can run with 2x300w heaters for 8 months of the year. the other 4 i have to swap a 300w for a 500w or this happens to me as well.
I run a 135 gallon with 2x650w heaters :D only one at a time though, the backup is programmed for redundancy

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use 6x 300w heaters for my larger tanks.

Inkbirds are Ok in quality and reliability, but they do fail quite often. I would not trust it alone. It is not industrial quality. The biggest issue is when the probes start to go and it thinks that your tank is at 78 and it really is at 70... the silent killer.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use 6x 300w heaters for my larger tanks.

Inkbirds are Ok in quality and reliability, but they do fail quite often. I would not trust it alone. It is not industrial quality. The biggest issue is when the probes start to go and it thinks that your tank is at 78 and it really is at 70... the silent killer.
I have had three of the Inkbirds fail this year - all less than a year old. I don't trust them one bit anymore!

I am on the D&D ones now across the systems backed up by the Apex.

Inkbird offered to replace them all- I have three as backups in storage now hoping I never have to use them again!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
When temperature drops, even though your Inkbird sees that and turns on heat, the “fall” can continue past your lower limit set. Depending on heater wattage, water volume and house temp, it will halt the fall and start to build to your high limit. More wattage would decrease that window.

My Inkbird is set 77-78, but temp runs 76.9-78.7.

If your using heaters with their own internal temperature sensor, ensure they don’t go off, before the Inkbird goes off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back