13.5 gallon saltwater tank

berner530

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
6
Location
Northern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m fairly New to the saltwater hobby and I want to make sure I don’t have too many animals in my tank. I currently have: 2 tiger pistols 2 snowflake clowns 3 nassarius snails 3 tiger trochus snails 1 ruby dragonet and 1 yellow watchmen goby. My water levels have been good and stable there is plenty of live rock in there. Let me know please I want to make sure all my creatures are happy and healthy
 
Hello I’m fairly New to the saltwater hobby and I want to make sure I don’t have too many animals in my tank. I currently have: 2 tiger pistols 2 snowflake clowns 3 nassarius snails 3 tiger trochus snails 1 ruby dragonet and 1 yellow watchmen goby. My water levels have been good and stable there is plenty of live rock in there. Let me know please I want to make sure all my creatures are happy and healthy
Also a camel shrimp
 
Also a camel shrimp
Hello. I'm sorry to see no one has gotten back to you on this subject yet. My wife and I are about 5 months into this and have a 36 gal salty. I'm not sure if what the limit is...but I would think if they have room and are happy, and your parameters are good, then you should be ok. But that's only my newbie opinion. Lol
 
How's the tank going? We enjoy seeing photos, if you are able. Best wishes moving forward. ;)
 
Honestly 4 fish in that tank is a bit tight. Keep an eye on the clowns they might become territorial and aggressive as they grow.
 
Last edited:
Good luck with your new adventure. My only advice, don’t get discouraged. A lot happens until the tank establishes itself, but after that it can be so rewarding, as I’m sure it already started to be. Stick with the fish you have. It’s fine. Don’t add more, because as someone mentioned about the clowns and also it will become too many. Happy reefing.
 
TANK FULL.

Step two

Buy another tank,
Welcome to reefing 😚
 
TANK FULL.

Step two

Buy another tank,
Welcome to reefing 😚
How right you are. When we got into this in December, we knew 36 gal would be all we ever needed. Lolol!! We are now considering a 45 or a 75.
 
How right you are. When we got into this in December, we knew 36 gal would be all we ever needed. Lolol!! We are now considering a 45 or a 75.
It still won’t be enough. 75 or 100 is more like it.
 
I did the same
13.5
40g turned 150g 😆
 
Dragons often only eat live food. Sometimes you can ween them on to frozen.

If you don’t see it eating frozen when you feed it will very quickly consume the tanks pods/shrimp and die with it being a 13gal. It’s far to small to keep up a large enough population of food.

You will need to dose pods/brine to keep it alive.
 
How's the tank going? We enjoy seeing photos, if you are able. Best wishes
Tank is doing good in keeping up on water changes and testing. I’m coming up on my 3 month mark and the tank parameters have been doing very good. I was really drawn in by the anemones to the hobby so I’ve been itching to get one lol but do you guys have any ideas or recommendations on what kind and what I would need. I don’t want anything to extravagant or difficult to maintain.I would a greatly appreciate it ❤️ also I uploaded a picture but it was still early so my git’s haven’t come out yet
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2251.jpeg
    IMG_2251.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 30
Extra credit for the slow-pace you seem to be taking things... and the tank is really looking nice. No 'ugly stage' hit yet?
 
I would go with a bubble tip anemone. Readily available, fairly hardy, common host of clowns, and can be but don’t have to be absurdly expensive if not exotic designer ones. Most people on here say not until 6 months but I think it’s a bit arbitrary and made up number. If tank is stable and doing well give one a shot as long as your lighting is up to par. I haven’t found them more difficult to care for than corals. They tend to move around to find their happy spot initially so I will be adding one sooner than later before putting much coral potentially in its way. Tank is looking good. Nice work.
 
Tank is doing good in keeping up on water changes and testing. I’m coming up on my 3 month mark and the tank parameters have been doing very good. I was really drawn in by the anemones to the hobby so I’ve been itching to get one lol but do you guys have any ideas or recommendations on what kind and what I would need. I don’t want anything to extravagant or difficult to maintain.I would a greatly appreciate it ❤️ also I uploaded a picture but it was still early so my git’s haven’t come out yet
Spectacular!! We're glad to see you are having a great time with your tank!! Corals are addictive, you'll run outta space perty quick. Thank you for the updates, we are right there with you!!
 
Tank is doing good in keeping up on water changes and testing. I’m coming up on my 3 month mark and the tank parameters have been doing very good. I was really drawn in by the anemones to the hobby so I’ve been itching to get one lol but do you guys have any ideas or recommendations on what kind and what I would need. I don’t want anything to extravagant or difficult to maintain.I would a greatly appreciate it ❤️ also I uploaded a picture but it was still early so my git’s haven’t come out yet
Anemones are a good addition! Just make sure your tank is mature, stable, and finished going through the ugly phases first!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new