130 gal Reef setup guidance

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 small FOWLR before when I was younger but both did not last very long due to lack of research and patience. Now years later I'd like to attempt a reef tank the proper way. I came across a used 130 gal aquarium w stand. Was told it was 150 but calculations are 72L 22W 19H so I believe its 130. I have all of the old rock soaking in 10% bleach right now. My goal is to make the tank as close to a ULM that I can. I have an old 39 gal tank I would like to make into a sump. But just starting out what really are the essentials I need?

1. I'd like to run a refugium but will I also need to run a skimmer? (Recommendations)
2. What other filtration is recommended?
3. Pump should handle 1300 GPH I believe any recommendations?

any other info you would like to add would greatly appreciated. I'd like to take my time and do it the correct way. 3rd times the charm

Thanks!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, ULM means water. RODI for top off, a salt vat for water changes, and a way of moving both without straining my back. Water changes, especially early on, seem to be key in the first year.

You are going to need a return pump that handles pressure for the sump plus a couple power heads for in tank flow. There are many options that work.

Lighting is another hot topic with all sorts of success and failures. Me, I personally like a T5/LED combo as IMO it looks good, grows corals just fine, and can be adjusted as needed.

Good luck and happy reefing.

OP
OP
D

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, ULM means water. RODI for top off, a salt vat for water changes, and a way of moving both without straining my back. Water changes, especially early on, seem to be key in the first year.

You are going to need a return pump that handles pressure for the sump plus a couple power heads for in tank flow. There are many options that work.

Lighting is another hot topic with all sorts of success and failures. Me, I personally like a T5/LED combo as IMO it looks good, grows corals just fine, and can be adjusted as needed.

Good luck and happy reefing.

Thanks for the response. After seeing many other positives reviews for an ATO system I plan on investing in one. Still looking into the auto water changes. That was definitely a big part of my last 2 not so successful tanks. Aa far as lighting the tank came with a big light box that had 6 or 7 MH t7's I believe. I may have to tweak it a bit to work again but I am looking in to the LED options. Not to sure what would work as far as coverage on a 6 ft tank. I want quality but not trying to break the bank on the initial setup.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Darkest of Dark sides, just kidding. Have you watched the 5Min videos and the ULM Videos from BRS (BulkReefSupply)? That would be a great place to start.

Essentials, I would consider making the tank Reef ready, so you can add a sump, or at least have the plumbing but capped off ready to go, with overflow box in place, it looks like you will head in that direction.

Finish off cooking you rock, rinse, then rinse, and maybe rinse again, then throw back in Tub and start cycling it. I'm old school so like the seeding with Ammonia, and letting it cook for 30days, no bacteria, while you work on the other things.

If you cycle in the tank, just some water movement. Bare bottom or sand? If sand, then rock first sand next. Also glue your rocks together, then add water.

It's a start for you.

OP
OP
D

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Darkest of Dark sides, just kidding. Have you watched the 5Min videos and the ULM Videos from BRS (BulkReefSupply)? That would be a great place to start.

Essentials, I would consider making the tank Reef ready, so you can add a sump, or at least have the plumbing but capped off ready to go, with overflow box in place, it looks like you will head in that direction.

Finish off cooking you rock, rinse, then rinse, and maybe rinse again, then throw back in Tub and start cycling it. I'm old school so like the seeding with Ammonia, and letting it cook for 30days, no bacteria, while you work on the other things.

If you cycle in the tank, just some water movement. Bare bottom or sand? If sand, then rock first sand next. Also glue your rocks together, then add water.

It's a start for you.
Thanks for the input. I have been non stop watching BRS videos, so much knowledge. I plan on installing plumbing in the next few days and working on the sump.

I was going to go with sand. Still have to work out the details. I know if it's too fine it can easily blow around but wouldn't mind having some sand sifting goby's.

If the tank is water tight should I even consider re caulking it? I know that will turn into a big project I really don't want to get in too.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have been non stop watching BRS videos, so much knowledge. I plan on installing plumbing in the next few days and working on the sump.

I was going to go with sand. Still have to work out the details. I know if it's too fine it can easily blow around but wouldn't mind having some sand sifting goby's.

If the tank is water tight should I even consider re caulking it? I know that will turn into a big project I really don't want to get in too.

Inspect the caulking, making sure no edge has lifted, or that you can get a fingernail or something similar underneath. Fill it with regular tap water, let it sit for two day looking for any leaks. If it passes, then good to go.

OP
OP
D

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect the caulking, making sure no edge has lifted, or that you can get a fingernail or something similar underneath. Fill it with regular tap water, let it sit for two day looking for any leaks. If it passes, then good to go.
I did notice some of the edges where the caulk is very this I can probly get a finger nail under but I was hoping that wasn't a huge issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back