130L Reef

PandaManCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone from sunny old West Australia.

Been salt watering since I made the switch from fresh 16 years ago, though primarily FOWLER tanks. Thought it was time I tried my hand at reefing. Time to start tracking the tank progression I believe so here we go.

Tank has been up for about 9-12 months, nothing but rock for 6. Fully cycled and thankfully I missed the ***** stage with no diatoms out unsightly algae blooms (yet). I watched a video from Reefbuilders where they did a 'hands off' reef tank so thought I would work along the same principle in relation to stocking. by no means is this hands off but I'm using minimal livestock with two clowns and 2 pyjama cardinals then a handful of trochus snails and a single hermit.

I added the first corals about a month ago, all softies except for a few unintentionally ordered SPS which for obvious 'beginner reefer' reasons aren't doing well. Added a green bubble tip anemone yesterday. he was shipped from Queensland in the eastern states and didn't do well in the travel but is looking better now.

Filtration wise, the tank is running a Fluval FX4 with after market fine and medium sponge instead of the stock standard stuff, and has been stacked full of Seachem Matrix which has been doing wonders at helping keep the nitrates in control with reduced water changes. I also have an Oase CrystalSkim 3 to keep the surface pretty.

Lighting is a 3" Fluval Sea Marine and the coral love it.

Finally flow wise, the FX4 is using the spray bar angled vertically and running down the back wall of the tank. I have two of the Jeboa MLW10's. One directed to clash with the FX4 flow and the other positioned at the rear of the tank directed forward to clash with both flows. Nice little chaotic pattern.

Ive been using Red Sea's coral pro salt but I'm switching to natural sea water from today.

I was using a Fluval C4 HOB filter just for added kick but stopped that a couple months ago and haven't had an issue.

Parameters are stable at the following;
NITRATE (<10): 0
AMMONIA ‘NH3/NH4’ (0): 0
NITRITE (0): 0
PH (8.1-8.4): 8.2
SG (1.025): 1.025
TEMP (24-26): 25.3
ALKALINITY ‘KH’ [dKH] (8-12): 9.5
CALCIUM ‘Ca’ (380-450): 420
MAGNESIUM ‘Mg’ (1250-1350): 1480
PHOSPHATE (<0.05): .02

More than happy plodding along as we do.

Also planning the next tank, a nice Redsea Reefer Max S G2+ 850 (so many $$$ disappearing) but ill have a seperate build threat for that baby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back