14 Biocube fell into my lap…..

BoB_25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently finishing my basement and been buying stuff for the tank and fish room…when it got me thinking about a guy I used to work with. About 10 years ago we bought a 14 Biocube, put roughly 20 pounds of LR and 2 clownfish. 6 months later we both got new jobs and went our separate ways.

I emailed him today to see how the tank is doing. He stated everything was great but the lid was shot so he purchased an AI prime for it….even had the same two clownfish. He also stated he was thinking about selling it. For giggles I asked what he wanted for it, he told me I could have it and wanted to know when I could pick it up.

So this Saturday I’m going over to pick up. It’s about 15 mins from my house…what are some things I should do for breakdown, transport, and setup?

I think Friday I will go get fresh saltwater and sand…some 5 gallon buckets...but what else should I do?

Keep in mind I have been out of reefing for almost 10 years.

Thanks for help!

Ol' Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need buckets to move the rocks, fish, and some water. Tank is really easy to move, being all one unit. Should go real easy.
Keep as much of the water as possible and be ready to make more water. Get the water to temp and add your salt so you can top off your tank when everything is in. Remember, after setting it up you will have to do water changes often with the small amount of water in the tank. If your are getting water and sand from the ocean, you should go out pretty far. Any sand and water collected close to the coast has a better chance for pollution in it.
I had a bio 14 and sold it to go with a much larger system with a sump. Good luck, it will be easier then you think.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back