14 gallon Oceanic BioCube

BlueSallymandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I don't have a very thrilling setup but I thought I would put up a thread more as a tank journal than anything else. I'm starting with a BioCube that I got a good price on used, and this is my first saltwater tank. It's currently cycling, with some new live rock (I bought a few fragments wet at the LFS to complement the rocks I already had). I haven't made any upgrades to the base kit, but there is a heater in the back compartment. No livestock to look at right now, but I'm planning on running it with a few small fish (including goby/shrimp pair) for a bit before trying any corals. I'm going to focus only on softies and beginner corals for this tank when the time comes.

What do you think of the aquascape? Or my plans overall? I'm open to constructive feedback!

aquarium.jpg

(next to the tank is my 40 gallon breeder freshwater aquarium, which has been running over two years now)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were you I’d smash those big rocks up and use the smaller results to make a more dynamic scape with more caves and alcoves!

olefisheyefool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I don't have a very thrilling setup but I thought I would put up a thread more as a tank journal than anything else. I'm starting with a BioCube that I got a good price on used, and this is my first saltwater tank. It's currently cycling, with some new live rock (I bought a few fragments wet at the LFS to complement the rocks I already had). I haven't made any upgrades to the base kit, but there is a heater in the back compartment. No livestock to look at right now, but I'm planning on running it with a few small fish (including goby/shrimp pair) for a bit before trying any corals. I'm going to focus only on softies and beginner corals for this tank when the time comes.

What do you think of the aquascape? Or my plans overall? I'm open to constructive feedback!

aquarium.jpg

(next to the tank is my 40 gallon breeder freshwater aquarium, which has been running over two years now)
Looks good so far, as for goby/shrimp pair, I would personally wait on that pair for at least 6 months before introduction to tank.

OP
OP
B

BlueSallymandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far, as for goby/shrimp pair, I would personally wait on that pair for at least 6 months before introduction to tank.
Oh that's good to know - are they very sensitive to new tanks? My other fish I am considering is a royal gamma, but I wasn't going to get any more fish than those two. I don't want to overdo things while I'm just getting the hang of maintenance.

olefisheyefool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's good to know - are they very sensitive to new tanks? My other fish I am considering is a royal gamma, but I wasn't going to get any more fish than those two. I don't want to overdo things while I'm just getting the

Oh that's good to know - are they very sensitive to new tanks? My other fish I am considering is a royal gamma, but I wasn't going to get any more fish than those two. I don't want to overdo things while I'm just getting the hang of maintenance.
You just wanna make sure whatever tank mates you're introducing, that the system is stable enough for proper nutrients... example like the goby for instance, who is a sand sifter and needs the substrate to be teaming with food in order for the goby to live a healthy life, etc etc

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

aquarium.jpg

Good luck with the journey! Slowly and steady is the way to go. And that’s a cool looking scape! It kinda looks like mine

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back