14 days of observation to copper or not to copper?

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 tangs (yellow, purple and scopas) in my 35g QT.
I was trying to avoid using copramine as it is whats available around here and ordered some copper power online, it should arrive in about a month.
all fish looks great (knock on wood) and eats like frickin pigs. I feed frozen mysis twice a day and a small piece of nori about every 3 days.

my question is which way to go:
1. Should I quarantine for another month for the copper to arrive, treat for 30 days and observe for 2 weeks before introducing them to my DT
2. just go ahead and treat with copramine for 30 days, observe for 2 week
3. do a FW dip, observe for another week (total of three weeks) and put them in the tank

as I said, no signs of any disease, eats everything (the scopas even tried to nibble on my finger) and no stringy white poop.

what would you do?
L

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your preference, when I QT I treat fish with copper, GC laced food, and at the end two rounds of Prazi.
With the current state of the fish distribution system you would be hard pressed to find 3 tangs that don’t have something.
I’ve just seen too many posts on here that start with “fish looked great for two weeks then placed him in DT and.....”
If you are more of the management type of person then I would treat with GC laced food and Prazi to ensure no flukes. Then do an extended observation period to hopefully rule out a carrier of ich or velvet.

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'd feed nori more often as its loaded with vitamins. and switch them to a more meaty food.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you call a more meaty food?
Chopped shrimp? Krill?

With three Tangs the Mysis will be ok but I’d bump up from a small piece of Nori. My PBT gets a full sheet of Nori daily and it’s consumed in an hour or so and then Mysis before the lights go out. The fatter the Tang is the healthier he will be.

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7
Would a fw dip that comes out clean rules out fluks? GC is not available around here, I do have prazipro though.
Can it be mixed with copper treatment?

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I make my own mixture. Grocery shrimp, clams, brine shrimp along with selcon an i freeze a batch in a zip lock. break a piece of and let defrost in fridge.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7
Would a fw dip that comes out clean rules out fluks? GC is not available around here, I do have prazipro though.
Can it be mixed with copper treatment?

A FW dip could greatly reduce the suspicions of flukes but not rule them out 100%. A FW dip is enough though to give you an idea if flukes are present or not. Prazi will work just like GC. The only difference is GC is Prazi and Metro mixed that’s all.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost fish to cupramine. But maybe I am just blaming copper for losing fish that would have died.

I have never lost a tang to cupramine. I would say do at least 2 weeks and better 3 weeks. My tangs have sailed through it. But it is a small sample and might be luck.

There are 2 schools of thought. One is to observe fish and not treat. This school usually goes for long quarantines like 12 weeks.

The other is treat prophylactically. Usually copper followed by prazipro. This can be done is 6 weeks.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 tangs (yellow, purple and scopas) in my 35g QT.
I was trying to avoid using copramine as it is whats available around here and ordered some copper power online, it should arrive in about a month.
all fish looks great (knock on wood) and eats like frickin pigs. I feed frozen mysis twice a day and a small piece of nori about every 3 days.

my question is which way to go:
1. Should I quarantine for another month for the copper to arrive, treat for 30 days and observe for 2 weeks before introducing them to my DT
2. just go ahead and treat with copramine for 30 days, observe for 2 week
3. do a FW dip, observe for another week (total of three weeks) and put them in the tank

as I said, no signs of any disease, eats everything (the scopas even tried to nibble on my finger) and no stringy white poop.

what would you do?
L
I would do the following procedure when copper power arrives.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it.
Ill nuke the qt when the copper power arrives;)
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back