Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank.

Equipment list:
MJ 1600
Hydor Nano 425 powerhead
Heater and custom media basket
Basket has purigen, chemipure elite, nitrogen pad, and chaeto powered by separate LED.

Livestock list:
2 clowns

Coral:
Frogspawn
Duncan
Pom pom xenia
Kenya tree
Acan
Neon green toadstool

I upgrade the stock lights to LEDs with StevesLed kit with included moonlights. I have the older version biocube so I ran into some trouble installing the lights, but got it done (had to buy some new screws). The LED moonlight is definately worth the $25 I paid for it. It is cut to length and it says it can power up to 400 gallons which I believe. I like having the choice of about 16 different colors. Easy to install too.

My clean up crew consisted of 3 hermit crabs and about 6-7 various snails. I really felt like it wasn't adequate so I placed an order with reefcleaners and received it yesterday. I ordered the quick crew package for a 14 gallon tank. I think it was supposed to include a total of 33 snails. He sent 83! Needless to say...I've got quite a few snails in my tank at the moment lol. I had read he sends extra in case any die, but wow....there is a bunch. I have 63 dwarf ceriths out of that batch. Although I didn't order one there was one small blue hermit crab in the bag with the snails (really tiny).

I went to the last club meeting and was impressed, it's a hobby I am really enjoying. Kind of wish I had a bigger tank. I will be moving to Memphis before too long for graduate school that starts in May, just have to sell the house here first. I took these pics roughly 10 days ago, but have changed the aquascape since then (I believe these were before the LEDs too). I will try to get some new pics soon.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1989-1.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

The toadstool wasn't really doing well under the stock lights, it has colored back up nicely under the LEDs.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

Weehawken64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gauge nice post. Just got a bc 29. Can you tell me more about that light upgrade. Was it all led n got rid of other lights? Who u get it from? How much? Also I wana (think I Shld) remove bio balls. Hear a lot about media basket. Can u tell me about it n where I get one. Thank you

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
G

Gauge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The led kit is from stevesled. I think it is just stevesled.com or just google it. He makes retrofit kits for the biocube. He has instructions on his website, basically just gut all the stuff in your hood and replace it with his, not too hard really. I would remove the bioballs. Actually I bought this tank from someone on craigslist that had already set it up with the media basket/chaeto in the back so I'm not sure where he got it. I upgraded the lighting and powerhead since I've gotten the tank and thats it (so far).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back