Custom Biocube 32 hood lighting

Reef Spawn

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building up a customized new 32g Biocube after being out of the hobby for 10 years. Reefing has a way of sticking with you.

Since I didn’t see too many pictures of finished Biocube hood lighting projects, thought I’d share a photo of my completed hood mod if others had similar ideas. Wanted to keep the stock clean enclosed top look for the tank.

I removed all the stock parts to get to a bare plastic shell. Then mounted a 12” AI Grow and 12” Glow using some nylon M8 bolts got in an $8 assortment kit. I used 50mm bolts. Drilled through the 4 plastic tabs to run bolts through to secure the lights. I just started small and used progressively bigger bits. Worked fine, but if doing again would start small bit then just use another drill bit or dremel to create enough space so don’t crack the smaller front tabs. Can even swivel the lights a bit at an angle if want and I’m getting complete tank coverage. Lights are mounted very securely.

Then in back of hood lip mounted a 40mm usb fan to exhaust the AI heat on a smart plug. Really works well and very little heat buildup. Running the mobius app to control the lights on the grow and glow schedule template is a crazy huge advance from the lighting we had just 10 years ago.



IMG_8631.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Looks nice. Let us know in time how the Blades handle any humidity in an enclosed environment like that. 👍🏻👍🏻
 
I added some black electrical tape to help hold the fan in place and cover those wires against the salty humidity.
 
I double checked and the fan in the back cover I used was 50mm. Perfect size for that space, can get a 2 pack with speed switch for around $18. On low it's removing all the light heat running at 40%. The top is curved a bit so it allows some air space between the blade heat sink on top of the bar and the cover.

With the lights being closer to the surface, the par numbers of 2 blades can be very high quickly. Even at 70%, par is around 450 top third of tank and barely drops to below 100 at the bottom. For corals at least depending on what you're growing 30-45% seems to be a good range.
 
More or less final version, with the stock cover on to protect the lights. Out of the left side are the chiller hoses, tunze ato nano wires and fill tube, temp sensor, and cords for heater, lights, fan, and 2 DC pumps.



IMG_8864.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new