14 gallon cube soft coral macroalgae only tank

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2019
Messages
13,491
Reaction score
10,699
Location
Here
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I am putting together a 14 gallon cube in my department's building and I figured I'd share the thread here. Its going to be a soft coral only tank. I plan on having leathers/toadstools, mushrooms, and xenia. I also plan on adding macro algae. There will be no fish in this system. I'll be posting updates soon!
 
Can't wait to see the updates!!!
 
My current equipment list:

  • Aqueon 14 gallon rimless cube
  • Sicce voyager nano
  • Seachem tidal 32
  • Finnex HPC 100w or 300w
  • Inkbird (to be bought later)
  • Two moani carib sea rocks (one more to be added later)
  • Kessil a80
  • Fl!pper float nano
  • Carib sea special grade sand
  • + Bio Spira, Reef Enhance, Reef Energy, Red sea dipX (never tried this dip so I am curious)
 
Here is the first picture! The tank is hazy from the sand. I will be adding another rock or two and a few corals Thursday! The stand is meant for fluval flex tanks.

image000000 (1).jpg
 
Last edited:
New coral addition! I also have an auto top off and safety shut off sensor coming in the mail as I will be away from the tank for quite a while.
PXL_20230425_165523766.jpg
 
Update:

I was gone from the tank all summer, so the macro algae didn't make it, but the corals have grown a lot. I added another rock and more corals since then. Eventually I will replace the macroalgae, but for now I am letting my clean up crew deal with hair algae that took over this summer (there wasn't much of a clean up crew while I was gone). I can post some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing how the coral has grown. The toadstool has grown tremendously in such a small time frame.
 
Update:

I was gone from the tank all summer, so the macro algae didn't make it, but the corals have grown a lot. I added another rock and more corals since then. Eventually I will replace the macroalgae, but for now I am letting my clean up crew deal with hair algae that took over this summer (there wasn't much of a clean up crew while I was gone). I can post some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing how the coral has grown. The toadstool has grown tremendously in such a small time frame.
Sorry about the macro algae, but glad to see the coral is going good!
 
Sorry about the macro algae, but glad to see the coral is going good!


Eh it was a trial run. My guess is the tank ran low on nitrate and phosphate for a period, resulting in them dying but in turn raising nitrate and phosphate enough for the soft corals to maintain themselves.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new