Pars:
Nitrates 5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
High rang pH 8
Phosphate 5ppm
Kh 14
Calcium 540

My issue is I don't know how to reduce the Kh. I had a salt tank 5 years ago, but never had this issue. It's it bad, how do I fix the issue. I appreciate all help

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pars:
Nitrates 5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
High rang pH 8
Phosphate 5ppm
Kh 14
Calcium 540

My issue is I don't know how to reduce the Kh. I had a salt tank 5 years ago, but never had this issue. It's it bad, how do I fix the issue. I appreciate all help

What are you dosing? And what test kit?
Assuming it's not a testing error, probably stop dosing and let the alk drop to a lower level.
Your Ca is high too so you may stop dosing as well, though it won't cause issues.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what phosphate kit are you using? That seems very high...

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing? And what test kit?
Assuming it's not a testing error, probably stop dosing and let the alk drop to a lower level.
Your Ca is high too so you may stop dosing as well, though it won't cause issues.
I don't have a doser

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't dose anything manually either?
API could be incorrect, if able take a sample to a LFS to double check or get a better test kit. Do you have any SPS in your tank? How are things looking?

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't dose anything manually either?
API could be incorrect, if able take a sample to a LFS to double check or get a better test kit. Do you have any SPS in your tank? How are things looking?
All I have is one rock of polys. Half are open half are closed. I add reef accelerator... lfs use the same kit. It's in it 2nd cycle. Everything looks great tho but green algae hair.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You restarted your tank and it's cycling again?

What salt are you using?
Sounds like a testing error to me. Anyway you could get a Salifert kh test kit? Softies are less stressed by kh jumps if that's what you indeed have. Your phosphates could be contributing to algae but I find it a bit hard to believe that you are at 5ppm so that's possibly another API error.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You restarted your tank and it's cycling again?

What salt are you using?
Sounds like a testing error to me. Anyway you could get a Salifert kh test kit? Softies are less stressed by kh jumps if that's what you indeed have. Your phosphates could be contributing to algae but I find it a bit hard to believe that you are at 5ppm so that's possibly another API error.
I had a 55 gal sold it. I have a 20g wit 2 green spotted full salt puffers where the Kh issue is last week phosphate was 20 , I'm setting up a 75gal saltwater. I will order that testing kit.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back