14 month update - bluetopia reef

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

It has been 14 months and I reckon I have only just started being comfortable with SPS after this time.

It has been my first reef tank and everything is stable now, maintaining the same steps and realised how much flow and light you need to keep acros.

I'm still learning (don't think I will ever stop) but hopefully I'm competent enough now to grow out my wild walt disney acro and undescribed flouro green anacropora.

I've started a youtube channel Bluetopia Reef and will keep it updated as I progress.

OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would like to change on my tank is the wavemakers coming from the back to the front. I have gyre type pumps and like the laminar flow over the top of the acros, and yhe corals really like it. But looking for something more aestheically pleasing e.g. wide flow over tbe top but maybe lower profile/less visible. I have an ato built in on the back, so mp40 dry side would get soaked so can't use those. Can anyone suggest a good wavemaker that you think would suit the tank at the back?

Attachments

• 20231030_082159.jpg
    20231030_082159.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 48

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good for 14 months but I can not see how those gyers could be operating with any efficiency front to back on short distance like that. This is why I believe seams fail too.

OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good for 14 months but I can not see how those gyers could be operating with any efficiency front to back on short distance like that. This is why I believe seams fail too.
Thanks for that, intereating. Yeah they are jebao gyre type pumps run at about 70%. I will switch one to the end of the tank instead and decomission the other when i get some new wavemakers. I like the idea of them on back wall so open to any suggestions. Was thinking along the lines of new nero type pumps with a wide flow pattern perhaps.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that, intereating. Yeah they are jebao gyres run at about 50%. I will switch one to the end of the tank instead and decomission the other when i get some new wavemakers. I like the idea of them on back wall so open to any suggestions.
To me gyres are more designed for long flowing wave movement across a good size wide tank. Jebao makes other small conventional powerheads that you can place on the backwall and position them directionally as needed to create varied random flow in conjunction with the gyres. I use MP40s on either side but my tank is smaller. I keep them 3 inches below the surface to create a nice ripple effect and provide the strongest flow to my SPS on top.

Attachments

• 20231019_090647.jpg
    20231019_090647.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, multiple smaller pumps would be better on the back. The jebao gyre type is ok in terms of output and flow, but looks a bit bulky front on. Nice tank!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, multiple smaller pumps would be better on the back. The jebao gyre type is ok in terms of output and flow, but looks a bit bulky front on. Nice tank!
Thanks most of the big tanks like yours have pumps on the side and different places in back to ensure complete flow around the large volume but I have discovered that overall intensity is not a mandatory requirement. My pumps peak at 26% during the day and 20% intensity overnight.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the same happened for you but after the one year point my tank became much more stable and predictable. I added 38 SPS frags after that over several months and did not lose anything. They have grown into mini colonies and full colonies now. So hopefully your tank is responding with the same maturing stability now too.

OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the same happened for you but after the one year point my tank became much more stable and predictable. I added 38 SPS frags after that over several months and did not lose anything. They have grown into mini colonies and full colonies now. So hopefully your tank is responding with the same maturing stability now too.
Well said. I found exactly the same thing! At the one year mark, everything just started doing well, but prior to that, the sps survivability rate was way lower. Once the green film algae became dominant, a matter of keeping that under control and the coraline slowly takes over everything. Success creates more success - e.g. the more sps frags you add - such as your 38, they take up more co2 and raise ph. I reckon its a good thing to add lots of sps around the 1 year mark.

OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lobophyllia are beautiful! I love those corals so much. Mine is my favorite coral for sure
Screenshot_2023-10-26-20-31-08-80_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Wow awesome lobo - one of my favorites too. Mine puffs up after a good feed of pellet or mysis They are beautiful and I plan to add a couple more. Their colours and shape are really unique and stand out.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

It has been 14 months and I reckon I have only just started being comfortable with SPS after this time.

It has been my first reef tank and everything is stable now, maintaining the same steps and realised how much flow and light you need to keep acros.

I'm still learning (don't think I will ever stop) but hopefully I'm competent enough now to grow out my wild walt disney acro and undescribed flouro green anacropora.

I've started a youtube channel Bluetopia Reef and will keep it updated as I progress.

Tank looks great!

OP
OP
R

robdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of progress shots
20231031_064505.jpg
Acropora Robusta in foreground. Still waiting for the pink growth tips but its doing well. Re coral in backround. Does anyone know what species orange one would be? Maybe Psamocora?
20231031_064302.jpg

Anacropora - green goblin to right. Left one species I am unsure of. Havent seen it mentioned at all on the web. Added recently and is a beautiful bright neon green. I also have the forbesi so a bit of an anacro nut.

20231031_064338.jpg

Acro can't remember exactly what species but was struggling for a while and has come good.

20231031_064323.jpg

Lobo

20231031_064357.jpg

Favia - I love the yellows, creams and oranges that this species adds to the tank.

20231031_064230.jpg

Red dragon frag starting to grow quick
20231031_071355.jpg

Orange spath

Blue staghorn - needs a bit more light at the front, looking at fill lighting for front of tank as an improvement. 20231031_064218.jpg 20231031_071408.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back