15.3 Alkalinity

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help, I ended up accidentally overdosing with seachem marine buffer. The reason I used this was because for the past week or so my PH has stayed at 7.8 and my room gets hot throughout the day because of how my room is designed, and my corals, my hammer especially started to look funny. So, I dosed the buffer, I have a 14 gallon tank and when I retested my PH was good but my alkalinity shot to high heaven.

I did do a water change, 25% and added new water. I use reef crystals and retested each hour and saw it come down from not being detectable to 15.3. Is there anything else I can do? I'm really concerned and mad at myself for accidently dumping too much because I couldn't find a dosage for a 14 gallon. I literally took pinches of the buffer and added my tank water and when I saw my PH was at 8.3 I checked KH and it was undetectable.

I have 6 corals 2 clowns, two turbo snails, 4 blue claw hermits, a scarlet hermit, and a neon blue goby and RBTA, I don't want them to end up dying.

What else aside from water changes can I do? I did research and saw a few things. Can I use distilled white vinegar? I'm not sure if people have tried that, or is that not going to do anything, is there a product I can get that is reef safe?

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are hardy Corals so they will do fine with you doing multiple water changes. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out

TiggerMillions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But, if you just overdosed it now, you actually should drop it more immediately. I believe reef crystal runs pretty high on alk already (12), so I think 14. 5 is a reasonable start if you just overdosed it now.
Oh okay, I have one pulsing xenia, three candy cane coral, one mushroom Ricordea, and a hammer coral.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are hardy Corals so they will do fine with you doing multiple water changes. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out
Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help, I ended up accidentally overdosing with seachem marine buffer. The reason I used this was because for the past week or so my PH has stayed at 7.8 and my room gets hot throughout the day because of how my room is designed, and my corals, my hammer especially started to look funny. So, I dosed the buffer, I have a 14 gallon tank and when I retested my PH was good but my alkalinity shot to high heaven.

I did do a water change, 25% and added new water. I use reef crystals and retested each hour and saw it come down from not being detectable to 15.3. Is there anything else I can do? I'm really concerned and mad at myself for accidently dumping too much because I couldn't find a dosage for a 14 gallon. I literally took pinches of the buffer and added my tank water and when I saw my PH was at 8.3 I checked KH and it was undetectable.

I have 6 corals 2 clowns, two turbo snails, 4 blue claw hermits, a scarlet hermit, and a neon blue goby and RBTA, I don't want them to end up dying.

What else aside from water changes can I do? I did research and saw a few things. Can I use distilled white vinegar? I'm not sure if people have tried that, or is that not going to do anything, is there a product I can get that is reef safe?
I would just let it drop down naturally, or if alkalinity usage is very low do a few water changes as you have, to bring it back in line. I wouldn’t go adding anything else.

I wouldn’t start messing around with pH as you can cause serious problems as you’ve found.

You have to remember test error margins as well. The pH in both my systems runs anywhere from 7.7 to 8.1, well according to an Apex probe. Unless your corals are having problems just leave it well alone.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let it drop down naturally, or if alkalinity usage is very low do a few water changes as you have, to bring it back in line. I wouldn’t go adding anything else.

I wouldn’t start messing around with pH as you can cause serious problems as you’ve found.

You have to remember test error margins as well. The pH in both my systems runs anywhere from 7.7 to 8.1, well according to an Apex probe. Unless your corals are having problems just leave it well alone.
Yeah, that was lesson learned for me, I just get concern because of the fact my room gets so hot couple with my 100 w lights on my tank. I'm going to just do the water Agitation, and fan on to keep it stable 24/7

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the temp in your tank remaining stable? Swings in temp also cause changes in salinity which isn't ideal and if I remember correctly ph decreases as temp increases. I ask because you mention your room getting really hot.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the temp in your tank remaining stable? Swings in temp also cause changes in salinity which isn't ideal and if I remember correctly ph decreases as temp increases. I ask because you mention your room getting really hot.
I believe so, I keep it at 78°, since summer hit my room has gotten hot so I put up a black sheet to keep heat out. I only see my light to my heater come on twice so far and that's it.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so, I keep it at 78°, since summer hit my room has gotten hot so I put up a black sheet to keep heat out. I only see my light to my heater come on twice so far and that's it.
You should make sure you actually check the temperature of the tank throughout the day. Don't rely on what you see the heater doing. It could be temp swings that are causing problems with your ph readings (and salinity).

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should make sure you actually check the temperature of the tank throughout the day. Don't rely on what you see the heater doing. It could be temp swings that are causing problems with your ph readings (and salinity).
Oh I see, I'll have to get a digital one to read it then. I have a regular one but I think I need that too

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, I'll have to get a digital one to read it then. I have a regular one but I think I need that too
Just chart it through the day for a couple days to make sure it's stable. A degree either way won't do much bit if you see the temp go up when your room starts to heat up then that could be the problem. At minimum you need to rule out temperature as playing a part in your low pH reading.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just chart it through the day for a couple days to make sure it's stable. A degree either way won't do much bit if you see the temp go up when your room starts to heat up then that could be the problem. At minimum you need to rule out temperature as playing a part in your low pH reading.
Okay, I'll do that

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back