OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Todd's pods might just be local here in Vegas, but it's a mixture of phytoplankton, copepods and bacteria to jump start your nitrogen cycling in your tank. The lighting is a more tricky thing that I'm still playing with. I have 3 redsea reef 90led. Set yours to blue 65% and white 35% to start with 11hrs of light.
Wow that high? Someone else told me 25/5. Do you have a link or something for the todd pod?

kent78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
should be an error testing if you didn't dose alk, there are not any reef salt that with high alk as 15 dkh. retest it to be sure.

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that high? Someone else told me 25/5. Do you have a link or something for the todd pod?
Like I said lighting is tricky and everyone has an opinion. What ever you set it to make sure you start it with the acclimation setting on. I just looked and I guess Todd's pods is local, but ask your local store what they have on hand with phytoplankton and copepods. The used biobags will have the bacteria you need.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Like I said lighting is tricky and everyone has an opinion. What ever you set it to make sure you start it with the acclimation setting on. I just looked and I guess Todd's pods is local, but ask your local store what they have on hand with phytoplankton and copepods. The used biobags will have the bacteria you need.
Ok thanks. I dont think I have an acclimation setting tho.

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to lower calc tho?
A high calcium level is nothing to worry about, because your coral will lower it as it consumes it. There is a inverse relationship with calcium and alkalinity. Usually if calcium is high then alkalinity is low (or calcium low then alkalinity is high). But since you just set your tank up work on making the alkalinity is btwn 8-12. These are the the parameters I live by https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/89/?aid=89

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A high calcium level is nothing to worry about, because your coral will lower it as it consumes it. There is a inverse relationship with calcium and alkalinity. Usually if calcium is high then alkalinity is low (or calcium low then alkalinity is high). But since you just set your tank up work on making the alkalinity is btwn 8-12. These are the the parameters I live by https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/89/?aid=89
Ok thanks for that. So the only thing that is really "bad" is the alkalinity. And maybe that will go down because I moved the powerheads? And the calcium will go down when I get the coral. Ummm should I keep the powerheads down like forever or no? Because if thats the problem idk how im gonna get a lot of oxygen and such.

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for that. So the only thing that is really "bad" is the alkalinity. And maybe that will go down because I moved the powerheads? And the calcium will go down when I get the coral. Ummm should I keep the powerheads down like forever or no? Because if thats the problem idk how im gonna get a lot of oxygen and such.
The powerheads u will have to adjust once u get more coral based on each of their individual flow needs. Once you get your alkalinity stable btwn the parameters your co2 and o2 exchange will be good and your ph will also be stable at about 8.0. Sometimes mine drops to 7.8 but that's still safe. A stable temp will also keep your ph stable. Be aware that the time of day when do tests matter too. Always do your test around the same time of day. That explanation is a long story in itself involving your room temp and how it affects your tank temp. I hated chemistry in school but not as mush as I hate it now. Lol

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The powerheads u will have to adjust once u get more coral based on each of their individual flow needs. Once you get your alkalinity stable btwn the parameters your co2 and o2 exchange will be good and your ph will also be stable at about 8.0. Sometimes mine drops to 7.8 but that's still safe. A stable temp will also keep your ph stable. Be aware that the time of day when do tests matter too. Always do your test around the same time of day. That explanation is a long story in itself involving your room temp and how it affects your tank temp. I hated chemistry in school but not as mush as I hate it now. Lol
Lol relatable. So just to make sure, good alkalinity creates oxygen exchange so I dont need nor should point powerheads at surface?

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal tank setup too where I don't use all those reactors people say you need. It just has a sump with skimmer and ato, so if I were u I wouldn't fuss on getting a lot of unnecessary equipment

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a 75 gal tank setup too where I don't use all those reactors people say you need. It just has a sump with skimmer and ato, so if I were u I wouldn't fuss on getting a lot of unnecessary equipment
Ok, and the fish?

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thanks so much really appreciate it. Do I need to get something to test magnesium to or im chilling?
There aren't many magnesium testers out there and those that are in my opinion have too many steps and too complex especially for your size tank. Unless you have a **** load of coral than I wouldn't worry about it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back