15 Alk too high?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not trying to ignore :). My LFS is 30 min away. And I cannot exactly bring 50 gallons of premixed water in the car. Im upstairs. The hose would be downstairs and outside. It just doesnt work.
I know you keep bringing up that point a lot, but 30 minutes isn't very far, and it's a trip you'll have to be willing to make if you want your tank to be successful. I bring Home Depot buckets to my LFS every week for RO/DI and can fit them in my trunk - I don't know how much space you have in your car, but in my Honda Civic I can fit 6 5-gallon buckets of water.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before, im fine to drive and said was even going to do it today. And we are talking about getting RODI water from a sink. How did we get to getting 50 gallons of water from LFS?
Im saying GO to the store and buy calibration fluid or have them test to verify your salt levels. That’s it, yes drive there.
I’m not talking about buying RODI unit or water there are already 15 people telling you that great advice. You can have all the RODI water in the world, if the refractometer is not calibrated Correctly the water won’t matter.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Quick question. Doing the home salinity test to see if it works and I have 2L of water but its 1878g instead of the 2104g it says. (like it says 2L = 2104g) So do I do 2L or 2104g?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Quick question. Doing the home salinity test to see if it works and I have 2L of water but its 1878g instead of the 2104g it says. (like it says 2L = 2104g) So do I do 2L or 2104g?
nvm he says to disolve it in 2104g

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a correction in there somewhere? Or perhaps it was in Randys thread about the solution?

2 liter bottle isn't exactly 2 liters anymore. I weigh everything.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I believe there is a correction in there somewhere? Or perhaps it was in Randys thread about the solution?

2 liter bottle isn't exactly 2 liters anymore. I weigh everything.
So once this mixture is dissolved just take a few drops and test it?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but when you start a saltwater tank you really need to do your research. Even just the bare minimum research will tell you that you need reverse osmosis water, preferably at 0 TDS especially if you want corals. Tap water in general in North America is filled with additives that are toxic to fish, and you should NEVER use straight tap water unless you're on a well and know exactly what's in it.
Some places in cali are mountain water fed towns no chemicals added and low tds.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should turn one way or the other.

No pliers needed, just a small screwdriver.

You do understand how to calibrate it?

Put some of the home made solution on the glass plate, flip the hinge over so there is no bubbles in the sample. Wait like 30 seconds for the temp to equalize(not needed if your meter shows ATC on it), then put the glass end up to a light, read result where the blue line meets the white line.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It should turn one way or the other.

No pliers needed, just a small screwdriver.

You do understand how to calibrate it?

Put some of the home made solution on the glass plate, flip the hinge over so there is no bubbles in the sample. Wait like 30 seconds for the temp to equalize(not needed if your meter shows ATC on it), then put the glass end up to a light, read result where the blue line meets the white line.
yes

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back