15 Alk too high?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds good. Wont lie my tank is one from my freshwater days which i cleaned after taking everything out. So there is no return or whatever for a sump. Im running HOB skimmer and filter. Is there another way for me to get a sump with this type of tank?
When adding the salt just try to add it in small amount. You could even just put it into the hob skimmer/ filter. If some gets into the sand it will eventually dissolve, but it is easier to just add it slowly.

Yes, you can use one of these for draining the water out of the tank:
I would recommend one with the auto priming pump.

For putting the water back use one of these:

I would suggest using one of these sensors on the return pump. Just plug the return pump into this and put the sensor above your water line in your display tank. You only want it to trip if something bad happens and the tank is going to overflow. For example if the siphon the overflow broke and did not restart:

If the return pump turns off, it will pull water back through the return line, so you may want to add a "check valve" to the return line.

Then for a sump there are many out there. Something like this is a good start:

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
When adding the salt just try to add it in small amount. You could even just put it into the hob skimmer/ filter. If some gets into the sand it will eventually dissolve, but it is easier to just add it slowly.

I would suggest using one of these sensors on the return pump. Just plug the return pump into this and put the sensor above your water line in your display tank. You only want it to trip if something bad happens and the tank is going to overflow. For example if the siphon the overflow broke and did not restart:

If the return pump turns off, it will pull water back through the return line, so you may want to add a "check valve" to the return line.

Thanks, but how would I connect the sump to the tank if there are no holes?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Plus I cant really spend $230 more. For now is the HOB skimmer and HOB filter ok?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link that was provided for the external overflow replaces the need for holes. Your return just needs to hang on the back as well.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus I cant really spend $230 more. For now is the HOB skimmer and HOB filter ok?
A ten gallon tank, some plexiglass, reef safe silicon and imagination are all you need for a sump. You can even go bigger if you want. You could probably do it for under $100.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally hate that thing! Yes it works, but it's so cumbersome to use.
Its super easy if you have a 500ml plastic cylinder. Its all I use. You can also use a cheap plastic swingarm and check with the TM hydrometer. The swingarm will be off but if you know what 1.0265 is using the TM then whatever the swingarm reads at the TM reading it does not vary.
Been doing this along time and I will never use a refrac. I have one but it give varying result all the time.
Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A ten gallon tank, some plexiglass, reef safe silicon and imagination are all you need for a sump. You can even go bigger if you want. You could probably do it for under $100.
I see what you mean and will def look into it. But the external by itself is like $200. Is that really needed or is it ok to start without it? (the sump)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go down that road right now I use to have a sps tank with HOB and no proper testing, just practice right now learn the chemistry and worry about upgrading equipment later when the ideas start clicking.

Hob filter and skimmer is fine trust me just clean your equipment and stay on top of weekly water changes, im doing mine right now..

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Don't go down that road right now I use to have a sps tank with HOB and no proper testing, just practice right now learn the chemistry and worry about upgrading equipment later when the ideas start clicking.

Hob filter and skimmer is fine trust me just clean your equipment and stay on top of weekly water changes, im doing mine right now..
Ok thanks. I ordered mag and salinity tests again and they are coming today. Should I retest and see what to do about the water or see if I can buy the RODI and clear out the entire tank? That will be harder but im fine to see if I can.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was once told a long time ago.......

Take this hobby as keeping water, not whats in the water(fish, coral, etc). The better you keep your water, the better the inhabitants will do.

Water is the basic of this hobby, without proper water, you cannot keep whats in the water thriving.

And thats why I am starting there with you.

Think this may have gotten lost in the post frenzy this morning.

No truer words have ever been spoken. IMO

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me check if I can spend the $70 but lets pray. How would I get it from the sink to the tank?
You will probably be happy that you change the water. You can get it from the sink in 5 gallon buckets. It will be a pain, but the problems you will avoid later will be worth it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back