15 Alk too high?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you made the solution properly?

If it's already turned down, perhaps you have dropped it, bumped it, etc, and actually threw the meter off so it's not calibrating?

Something is telling me something is not right either with the meter itself, or the solution you made.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Are you sure you made the solution properly?

If it's already turned down, perhaps you have dropped it, bumped it, etc, and actually threw the meter off so it's not calibrating?

Something is telling me something is not right either with the meter itself, or the solution you made.
Yeah somethings not right. Maybe the meters bad? Get a new one?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. They are fairly cheap. I dropped one a while back, could never get it calibrated properly. Replaced it.

I was once told a long time ago.......

Take this hobby as keeping water, not whats in the water(fish, coral, etc). The better you keep your water, the better the inhabitants will do.

Water is the basic of this hobby, without proper water, you cannot keep whats in the water thriving.

And thats why I am starting there with you.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go on the BRS website and buy the floating glass hydrometer they sell. Never needs calibration and is pretty much fool proof as long as the temperatures match. Costs around forty bucks

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go on the BRS website and buy the floating glass hydrometer they sell. Never needs calibration and is pretty much fool proof as long as the temperatures match. Costs around forty bucks
I personally hate that thing! Yes it works, but it's so cumbersome to use.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has got to be one of the most frustrating threads I've read in some time. It starts off with someone giving the OP terrible advice, then it progresses to OP using tap water and so on.
I'm not one for mincing words, so don't take any of this with a mean tone:
1. Get an RODI system.
2. Get refractometer calibration solution, GOOD test kits (or Hanna eggs).
3. Fill a new garbage can with RODI water. Add pump and heater and salt and let mix. Heat to 78 degrees. Salt to 35ppt.
4. Drain current setup.
5. Fill current setup with newly mixed water.
6. Add your favorite bottled bacteria and a piece of live rock. Add a food source.
7. Monitor ammonia and nitrites.
8. Allow cycle to continue and complete.
9. During cycling, read and educate yourself on owning a SW tank.
10. Once you're done reading and watching videos, do it again.
11. Verify cycle has completed by testing for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites.
12. Promise to never say "But my LFS is 30 mins away..." ever again.
13. Enjoy success by slowly adding things.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously your ph is good but when u are able to drop your alkalinity it will drop too. You could decrease how much you are agitating the surface water which will drop your alkalinity overnight. I keep mine at around 11 because I have a mixed reef and everything does well
I think this advice is coming from swimming pools where aeration can effect pH and Total Alkalinity. Does not apply to reef tanks.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We recently had another forum member with similar issue (Alk of 15+ with mix that was supposed to be 8). Turned out their RODI was not taking out the impurities.

100% buy an RODI unit. You can get one on amazon for $70 (aquatic life).

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD

Or invest more and buy a 4 stage Bulk Reef Supply one.

Drain your tank all the way. Get rid of all of the old water. Fill it with rodi. Just put the output hose in the tank and fill it up. It will take 1/2 to 1 day. Watch it so you don’t overfill.

If you have a sump (tank part in the base cabinet) then add the salt there. If you have an All in One, pour the salt in the back part. Just slowly. Put in a cup, let it dissolve… come back 10 min later and put in another. When you get close to the recommended amount, then test the salinity.

One tool I really like is the Hanna salinity checker. Some people have issues, but many more have used them without problem. It is nice to just stick it in the water and see the temp and salinity. A little pricey ($75) but well worth it. Also, the Hanna Alkalinity checker is very nice too.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently had another forum member with similar issue (Alk of 15+ with mix that was supposed to be 8). Turned out their RODI was not taking out the impurities.

100% buy an RODI unit. You can get one on amazon for $70 (aquatic life). Or invest more and buy a 4 stage Bulk Reef Supply one.

Drain your tank all the way. Get rid of all of the old water. Fill it with rodi. Just put the output hose in the tank and fill it up. It will take 1/2 to 1 day. Watch it so you don’t overfill.

If you have a sump (tank part in the base cabinet) then add the salt there. If you have an All in One, pour the salt in the back part. Just slowly. Put in a cup, let it dissolve… come back 10 min later and put in another. When you get close to the recommended amount, then test the salinity.

One tool I really like is the Hanna salinity checker. Some people have issues, but many more have used them without problem. It is nice to just stick it in the water and see the temp and salinity. A little pricey ($60) but well worth it. Also, the Hanna Alkalinity checker is very nice too.
Agree 100%

Love my hanna. They seem to be either hit or miss. You either get one that works(like I did when they first came out), and stays calibrated, or you get a dud. If you do get a dud, turns out hanna CS is great and will simply replace it.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tool I really like is the Hanna salinity checker. Some people have issues, but many more have used them without problem. It is nice to just stick it in the water and see the temp and salinity. A little pricey ($75) but well worth it. Also, the Hanna Alkalinity checker is very nice
This is my quick go to checker along with the easy verification using their calibration solution, I use it in a cup of tank water, because it is possible imo that you could have possible interference with pumps, motors, heaters and maybe wifi. I dont know that for sure but its easy enough to grab a clean cup and scoop in some water and test in hand.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

100% buy an RODI unit. You can get one on amazon for $70 (aquatic life).

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD

Or invest more and buy a 4 stage Bulk Reef Supply one.

One tool I really like is the Hanna salinity checker. Some people have issues, but many more have used them without problem. It is nice to just stick it in the water and see the temp and salinity. A little pricey ($75) but well worth it. Also, the Hanna Alkalinity checker is very nice too.

Sounds good. Wont lie my tank is one from my freshwater days which i cleaned after taking everything out. So there is no return or whatever for a sump. Im running HOB skimmer and filter. Is there another way for me to get a sump with this type of tank?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the eye peice one. I unforntunatly do not have RODI water but my water is pretty "clear".

That is what I tried to do. Let me do it one more time.

The salt was in a bucket.
They can and used to be able to calibrate with fresh rodi water but …
That’s not accurate .
buying 35ppt calibration solution is the more accurate way

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back