15 fish in a 180 gallon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter afex
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

afex

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Messages
36
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm getting my tank off the ground and looking for some opinions on how to round out my fish list, and wondering what others think about my proposed additions.

do these 15 fish seem like too many for a 180g? target is a mixed reef LPS/SPS.

current inhabitants (6)
Kole Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
2x Pink Skunk clownfish
royal gramma

proposed additions (9)
6x anthias
2x cardinalfish
hippo tang

IMG_1599.JPEG
 
Tank looks to be 6 ft long. I think the proposed stocking sounds good but others with more experience may chime in. I am in the planning stages of a 225. My stocking list is a bit heavier, but with lots of fish that are 1 to 3 inches typically.
 
I would think It's completely doable if you have a solid nutrient export method (tangs poop a LOT when they get bigger). One thing you might consider though is opening up your scape a little bit so they have places to hide when they get big. Just something to think about. :)
 
I agree with Auquanut, you need more hiding places. Otherwise this seems fine. I'm not a tang expert though, I haven't kept any of the tangs listed.
 
Eye-balling that as a 6-foot tank. My opinion: You will be fine. Enjoy!
 
I have a 200 gallon and will be stocked a fair bit more than this. Becareful adding a regal tang when you’ve already got established tangs, especially the purple. I would monitor their behaviour very closely or even have the regal in a social acclimatisation box to start with.
 
I have a 150. Stock is PB tang, kole tang, purple tang, orange shoulder tang, pair of maroon clowns, melanarus wrasse, pair of bellus angles, long nose hawk and sixtine wrasse. Started all the tangs small. Looks like your are too. I'll have to do something with the orange shoulder down the road. I like where I am at. My only issue is the PB is turd to new inhabitants for a day, but then is fine. Attached is a video of my tank, to give you some perspective.

 
Anthias are weird.
sometimes they’re buttholes
Sometimes you sneeze near the tank and they die.
sometimes you get lucky and they all live.
Just my personal experience working at an Aquarium
 
Anthias are weird.
sometimes they’re buttholes
Sometimes you sneeze near the tank and they die.
sometimes you get lucky and they all live.
Just my personal experience working at an Aquarium
This is my experience. I added 6 Sailfin Anthias before shelter in place. The group murdered one or two and the rest died one by one. Very strange. I would like to add a Blotched Anthias, but I’m concerned the same will happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new